No More Virtual Camera - My Show is Dead

Following Mac Software update, no MimoLive virtual camera in any application. Removed, reinstalled MimoLive, same problem. I can record to file, it shows correct output in program output window. No virtual camera available in Slack, Zoom, QT or Google Meet. MacBook Pro 14" 2021 Apple M1 Pro chip, 32GB Memory Sonoma 14.1.1. MiMo Live Version 6.4 (30049). I do see the virtual microphone associated with the show title in Slack audio settings. Downloaded virtual camera drivers, installed, rebooted, no change. Removed application, reinstalled, no Virtual Camera. Until this is fixed I am off the air. Great sadness. Help!!

Hi @JJC I’m sorry about the troubles.

Quite surprisingly, Apple removed support for DAL based Virtual Cameras from Sonoma 14.1. We’re working on releasing a new Camera Extension for mimoLive soon.

Meanwhile, here is how to get support for legacy Virtual Cameras back: If you can't use your camera or video output device after updating to macOS Sonoma 14.1 - Apple Support

Or use NDI Virtual Input/Webcam

Unfortunately, the NDI Virtual Input is also using legacy technology and needs the same procedure to work on Sonoma 14.1. MacOS Sonoma (14.1) no longer recognizes NDI Tools as a virtual camera – NDI

2 Likes

Amazing Apple doesn’t pass this info during pre-beta releases to developers who win Apple Design Awards.

Greetings, sir! It gets worse - IT will not allow me to use system-overide in recovery mode. That workaround is not for me it seems. Is there a future possible fix?

Hi @JJC That is disturbing as it is Apple’s recommended fix. Is there an error message?

A fix is coming from us. 6.6b1 should be out by early next week.

TLDR: IT Says “No, and if you figure out how to do it, the MDM will reverse it”. Here are the words spake by IT: “The requested modification to the base security configuration is denied. The application ‘MiMo Live’ is not business critical” and “Our ISO-27001 Compliance tool depends on the MDM tool keeping configurations consistent to the approved baseline. We would have to track the variant configuration and remove the security exception at some future time. We do not provide a level of system access to the end user that permits the circumvention of the hard drive encryption required by the override tool.”

Ah, I see. I missed the significance of “IT” being spelt in all caps…

I thought there was a technical issue.

We‘ll do our best to get the new virtual camera out asap.

Hi @JJC Here is the beta for the version with the new Virtual Camera you should be able to install and use without IT. Also, it works in more apps than before such as FaceTime, Slack and more.

https://cdn.boinx.com/software/mimolive/Beta_mimoLive_6.6b1-30141.app.zip

Please let me know how it goes!

Thank you sir!! Downloading now…

Greetings, Team MiMoLive. Y’all done good. It works!! Oliver: Thank you for the followup, glad to get software from companies that care about their customers.

1 Like

Hi @JJC Good to hear that it is working for you! Please let us know if anything comes up.

Thanks for the update @Oliver_Boinx! Such a relief to have this back.

That said, I’m seeing some really odd interactions with camera config across apps. For example:

1. Start Photo Booth, make sure the FaceTime camera is selected, make sure that ‘portrait’ and ‘studio light’ are turned ON
  2. Quit Photo Booth
  3. Start mimoLive, add burning text layer above Camera placer, make it live, add virtual camera, make sure that ‘portrait’ and ‘studio light’ are turned OFF
  4. Start Photo Booth again, make sure ‘Virtual Camera’ is selected. Note that the fiery text is blurred. Note that that ‘portrait’ and ‘studio light’ are still turned off for mimoLive and that no camera settings are available for Photo Booh. Also note that the PGM OUT video in mimoLive is still crisp and not blurred(?!).
  5. In Photo Booth change the camera to the FaceTime camera, note that ‘portrait’ and ‘studio light’ are turned ON so turn them both OFF
  6. In Photo Booth change the camera back to the Virtual Camera. Note that the fiery text is now clear and sharp

Huh?!?!

How is Photo Booth’s settings for the FaceTime camera affecting mimoLive’s delivery of video from the FaceTime camera AND when those camera effects are not shown in the PGM OUT view.

Very odd.

Wow, thanks for the report. We’ll have to keep an eye out for issues like that, although in this case, I don’t think there is anything the Camera Extension or mimoLive do.

Apple is obviously working on cleaning up the video pipeline. In MacOS 14.0, the “secret gestures” (:+1::v::-1:) were also applied to virtual cameras. At least that has now been turned off by default.

mimoLive is using the Camera Extension as a “mirror”, sending in whatever the program out is. It is entirely possible that MacOS and/or the receiving app is changing the video - not necessarily to the better.

Thank you for the followup, glad to get software from companies that care about their customers.

@Oliver_Boinx : Hmmm … on two different Mac Silicon machines I can’t get any virtual camera output to show up in any other application. From the thread above, it sounded like this was a solved problem. I am running Sonoma 4.2.1 (23C71). I have System Extensions on for identified developers, etc.

Which version are you on? I am still good on Version 6.6b6 (30177) - the latest Beta.

Hi Andreas, sorry about the inconvenience. You can either follow Apple’s instructions to re-enable legacy camera support (If you can't use your camera or video output device after updating to macOS Sonoma 14.1 - Apple Support) or download mimoLive 6.6b6 (Beta Preview | mimoLive®) and install the new “Virtual Camera Extension”.

@Oliver_Boinx : Thanks for the prompt response. I downloaded 6.6b6 and Virtual Camera Extension, Virtual Camera plugin 1.4(3), and the Virtual Audio Device 1.5(4) have green LEDs. However, the moment I want to go live, it tells me that Output Destinations are not ready to go love.

Virtual Camera is not selected to “Start with Show”. However, the Virtual camera doesn’t have such option as far as I can see.