mimoLive + New Blackmagicdesign products

What are your thoughts on the combination of mimoLive and the new BMD products, in particular the ATEM Television Studio HD and the WebPresenter?

Will the mimoLive ATEM plugin work with the new version of the ATEM too? Is there an advantage to use the ATEM Television Studio HD over the previous basic version, considering the switching would be done by mimoLive and not the BMD software?

I am also very interested in the web presenter, because I believe it will be great to have the encoding and streaming handled by the Web Presenter, while the switching is handled by mimoLive. As I understand it the mimoLive’s program out can be fed via hdmi into the Web Presenter, which will encode the signal and stream it.
Will this mean that the switching can be done be a less powerful machine like a MacBook Pro i5?

I’d love to hear your thoughts.

@Han We do not have yet access to those new products, so all of this is quite theoretical.

What are your thoughts on the combination of mimoLive and the new BMD products, in particular the ATEM Television Studio HD and the WebPresenter?

In theory, they should work fine as long as the new ATEM product is using the same control protocol as all the other ATEM products. We will try to verify this asap.

As far as I understand it, the Web Presenter is a supercharged HDMI/SDI to USB grabber. BMD claims it shows up as a USB webcam in macOS, so it should work with mimoLive, similar to the Magewell USB Capture family, the AJA U-TAP or the Epiphan.

Will the mimoLive ATEM plugin work with the new version of the ATEM too? Is there an advantage to use the ATEM Television Studio HD over the previous basic version, considering the switching would be done by mimoLive and not the BMD software?

The new ATEM certainly has new features that might come in handy if you need them. If your current setup works, you will probably have no advantage by upgrading.

I am also very interested in the web presenter, because I believe it will be great to have the encoding and streaming handled by the Web Presenter, while the switching is handled by mimoLive.

According to the web site, the Web Presenter is neither streaming nor encoding. It converts SDI or HDMI to 720p low frame rate USB to be used in the native streaming apps of YouTube, Facebook et. al. Stream encoding is still done by those apps.

As I understand it the mimoLive’s program out can be fed via hdmi into the Web Presenter, which will encode the signal and stream it.

That is not my understanding. Of course you can feed the mimoLive signal into Web Presenter via HDMI, I’m just not sure what that’s going to achieve.

Will this mean that the switching can be done be a less powerful machine like a MacBook Pro i5?

The answer to this question is difficult. You should be able to switch 3 1080p25 sources on a MacBook Pro i5. We have done 7 1080p25 sources on the new MacBook Pro 15inch.

Thank you for the quick feedback.
You are right, the Web Presenter does not stream. It is basically a USB grabber, which allows for switching two video inputs, and take USB camera and a microphone.
In principle, the HDMI loop out signal could be connected to a vidiu to feed a second stream.

I’ve got the new ATEM Television Studio HD here and I’ll be testing it with mimoLive later this week. I’ll report back here when I do. One major advantage I see with the new ATEM is the ability to do 1080p, which the original TV Studio lacked.

I’ve done some testing of mimoLive and the ATEM Control Layer with the new ATEM Television Studio HD. It looks like the Control Layer will need an update to be compatible. The new ATEM TVS HD has two switching modes; ‘program/preview’ and ‘cut bus’. When the ATEM is set to ‘program/preview’, the Control Layer switches only the preview, not the program. When the ATEM is set to ‘cut bus’, the Control Layer doesn’t do anything.

A quick update on the Web Presenter: The problem is that we support the Blackmagic devices through the Blackmagic SDK. To avoid confusion, we’ve “blacklisted” every device with “Blackmagic” in the name from showing up in the list of OS supported devices. Since the Web Presenter can only be used through the OS, we need to white list it. For this, we need to know the exact name it is showing up as on the OS device list. We have sent an inquiry to Blackmagic and hope to get a response soon.

@“Jason Jenkins” Thanks for testing. We’ve asked BMD to assist in fixing the ATEM control.

Just confirming Jason’s findings. I have the new BM TVS HD and I am unable to control it with the ATEM layer in Mimolive.

@“Oliver (Boinx)” while you are looking into the new TVS I note that Blackmagic have released the Ultrastudio Mini HD (https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/ultrastudio/techspecs/W-DLUS-10). I’m thinking of getting one of these to enable Scenario 1 from your ATEM brochure. Can you confirm that the device should work as expected?

(sorry I originally referred to the wrong device)

I received my BM TVS HD yesterday and my Atem Control Layer is working as expected.
Latest firmware for Atem Switchers 7.1 was released just last week, perhaps there is a fix in there?

I’ve updated to 7.1 and same issue. ATEM software connects fine to the IP I’ve configured, ATEM layer in ML does not.

OK, I may have jumped the gun, this morning I was using Atem control layer with a build date of 19-02-2015. This worked fine except I had no remote layout presets available. Tonight I am on an updated layer date 06-12-2016. I have layouts but no control.

Update: I’ve made sure this isn’t a network issue. Disabled my WIFI adapter (which is on 192.168.0.x) so my only network connection was wired. My IP was 192.168.1.188 and the ATEM is on 192.168.1.40. Confirmed connection using ATEM Switcher software. I’ve tried using the Mimolive ATEM layer with ATEM switcher software open and with it closed, same result - no connection.

If someone has the time and brain space to work out why and old version of the layer is working but not the new I’ll pass on the old version to you.

@winnie Thank you for taking the time to test this. We do not yet have one of the new switchers which makes it hard to debug this issue. We’re investigating.

@“Oliver (Boinx)” I would be happy to set up a teamviewer session if you’d like to connect to my mac and dive into the TV Studio HD I have set up here. I have Xcode installed etc.

Is there any update on this? As posted I am unable to control my TVS HD with the Atem layer in ML. Right now all I have is a $140 software multiview viewer. I could have this same thing for no extra cost just using a Placer layer and the Multiview camera :confused:

Some response please guys, waiting patiently, its extremely frustrating. I’ll freight one of my TVS to you if you cant get your hands on one.

Waiting to purchase a Mimo license, until someone from Boinx confirms that the ATEM layer works with the latest Blackmagic switcher… (crickets…)

@Jackwagon Unfortunately, the ATEM layer does not work with the Television Studio HD yet. We are working on resolving this issue as quickly as possible. It requires more changes than we have anticipated, but we are committed to making it work.

@winnie Sorry for the delay. I understand and share your frustration. Thanks for offering to ship the TVS to us, but I think it would be more economical to just buy one here… :wink: