Feature Request: Midi Mapping

@Oliver_Boinx is there any chance to have mimoLive doing something (calling a macro, pinging an url, or whatever) when a change in some parameter happens? Any workaround works when the flow goes from an external something to mimoLive. But I did not find any effective way to collect information from mimoLive and send them to an external something (other than querying the API every n milliseconds, which requires a lot of CPU power).

Right now, this is possible in an Automation Layer with the command httpRequest. So, you could use an Automation Layer to trigger something in mimoLive and notify an external URL of the change.

Can you give me a specific use case I could use to formulate the feature request?

@Oliver_Boinx I’m trying to build an OSC <> mimoLive bridge. Everything works fine when I send the commands to mimoLive. But if I change something in mimoLive, I cannot get the change to be reflected in the software sending the OSC commands.

Example: I have a TouchOSC layout controlling the volume of some mimoLive layers (see https://youtu.be/anaImmNwfgQ). But if I change that volume interacting with the mimoLive interface, my TouchOSC layout does not receive anything. Currently, if I want my TouchOSC layout to be updated, I need to query the mimoLive API every 10 ms, detect what values are changed, send the updates to TouchOSC. That’s pretty inconvenient because it consumes a lot of CPU. Do you see any way mimoLive to send out some signal when some parameter is changed?

Apparently, that’s already working with the web control interface. The user can change a layer volume both in the browser and in the mimoLive interface, and they are synced.

Thanks.

1 Like

I’d suggest to write a wrapper for “Web Control Surfaces”, by catching the html and JavaScript/JSON-Objects, if you want to do it dynamically and if you want to avoid more requests than necessary. All Feedback is available there. But this would be a - dynamic - WYSIWYG-solution, nobody wanted, except of me.

Just to prove the immense value of having MIDI/OSC integration. Today RØDE released a new beta version of its RØDECaster Pro firmware. Guess what is the main new feature included in that firmware?

See for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1vgPayQiTg

2 Likes

Amazing, and I’d like to press, slide and wheel me through a bunch of Layer Settings (of several Layers the same Time) by using one slider / and if the control supports also wheels, with spinning images and extra fancy transitions, which are just possible by using mimoLive. But I think we have to wait for under-the-hood-magic, which supports 360°-wheels and sliding processes on the first hand and on the other hand block-processing.

Hi @Gabriele_LS This is awesome! It would be great if you get it to work.

To be honest, I don’t know the technical details, but I think if the magical word is websockets to get the updates to the states. If you know your way around JavaScript, you can look at the Stream Deck plugin to see how this is done. The Stream Deck plugin also updates the state of the button according to the state of the layer.

Just to prove the immense value of having MIDI/OSC integration.

You don’t have to prove that.

2 Likes

I will investigate that. But I guess websockets are out of my league.

@Gabriele_LS can this be extrapolated to a midi fader?

You should write every single line of code from scratch. So, if you are not familiar with programming, I would answer “no”. Otherwise, I would say it can be done, but it requires a day of code writing and testing.

1 Like

ok… Well, thank you… :frowning:

Any update about this? I really miss MIDI mapping feature.

1 Like

No. And how deep should it go? I’d like to control color wheels in variants of lower thirds layers and simultaneously the opacity of an underlaid placer layer.

Just to be able to control volume would be a huge improvement.

Fine tuning (wheel for increase/decrease volume or gain), or on/off toggle?

Increase - decrease. On off is solvable easy with MIDI to key shortcuts mapping.

At the Automation section, there is a suggested proof of concept workaround, it might help, while waiting:

How to create a wheel for external audio-control in mimoLive?

Thank you I’ve seen it. I am afraid of how it would turn out, but I will try probably. Although given the situation, I am more towards using the external mixer for the audio as it seems to me that MimoLive has really minimal audio support - from this MIDI support to VST, mastering, etc. It is surprisingly basic compared to video features.

Yes. I’m sure that somewhen in future this will change a bit. I think there are some challenges to solve if the solution should be a Boinx worthy one. My longtime experience is that features are added in an extreme intelligent way. Yes, some changes in past took 4 years to arrive (or longer), but then they blew my mind. I will never forget the appearance of the layer sets. Yes, to understand this takes some time, but I never want something like scenes again.