Apple M1-Max Video Capture Solutions

Since when is it possible to have multi cam capture with Media Express? Where is the facepalm emoji? :smiley:

2 Likes

exactly! Also, there’s this:

Since December last year, I try to get support on this. :joy::joy:

And it exactly started with the same reply. :joy::joy:

But this finally seems to be promising:

1 Like

Blackmagic Desktop Video 12.3 released yesterday.

Release notes:

• Fix an issue causing frames to be dropped when capturing and playing back multiple streams on M1 Macs.

• Fix issue where Apple ProRes captures on M1 Max and M1 Pro Macs contained black frames.

2 Likes

i thought macOS could only handle two BMD miniRecorders at a time? isn’t that the limit for mimoLive (or maybe it’s an M1 limit, i forget, and as i only have two miniRecorders i can’t test it!)

I used 6 Thunderbolt 3 Ultrastudio Recorders with an M1 Pro over the weekend.

Not an M1 Pro limitation.

2 Likes

The restriction was valid based on two aspects:

1. how many busses.
  2. thunderbolt 2 and number of connectors

TB2-ports on former Macs were on shared busses.
Two or tree connectors (plus hdmi out), but only one bus. Now we have 1 bus and 1 connector. Additionally, TB2 was only 10gbit/s per bus (not per connector).

Si, nowadays we can have up to 40gbit/s per connector. 3G-devices are connected with up to 5gbit/s, so you can count up. :slight_smile: Sounds amazing!

2 Likes

Amazing! It’s good to read. I had 2 transparent images, while startup. Since then, nothing strange happened. GPU usage decreased about 25%. CPU about 30%. I’m glad that it works now!

2 Likes

Was that on a MBP Pro or Studio M1 Pro, Brian? Love to know your specs. I’m still waiting by on a M1 mac mini with a piddling 8 GB of RAM. I was hoping a mac mini pro would come out at WWDC but not happening for now. So I might get a mac studio M1 pro or a MBP M1 pro… not sure what to do ATM, I have three Dell displays, one of them factory colour calibrated so temped to go for the studio box to save on the cost of the MBP display.

14" MacBook Pro with M1 Pro 10C CPU, 16C GPU, 16GB unified memory, and 1TB SSD.

… the in-stock $2,499.00 (US) model from The Apple Store.

1 Like

good to know. how did you connect all the BMD miniRecorders? you must have used some kind of TB3 or TB4 hub I guess? Amazing throughput for a laptop computer.

Mini recorder TB2 won’t work with M1 processors

Recorder 3G TB3 does

I know, I have two TB2 miniRecorders collecting dust now my 2015 15" MBP has lost its battery and SSD functions.

Answered in post on March 26th. See above. : )

Hi,
I can’t find the name and model of you acquisition device with 3 SDI and 3 HDMI.
Could you please point me in the right direction ?

Hi @dad Do you need 3 HDMI and 3 SDI at the same time for a total of 6 inputs?

For this you would need a Blackmagic DeckLink Duo 2 and a Blackmagic DeckLink Quad HDMI card.

What Mac model are you going to use? If it’s not a MacPro that has PCIe slots, you’ll also need a PCIe Thunderbolt expander box. There are several options, depending on your Mac model. One good vendor is Sonnettech.

1 Like