Window Capture source using all resources

Hello there,

or the last couple of weeks I haven’t been able to use MimoLive with a Window Capture source as, the moment I turn the layer on, all resources are consumed and the whole machine slows down, with frames being dropped during recording.
Nothing has changed in my mac. No new software, nothing weird. I have the latest version of MimoLive.

I have removed all cropping etc from the Window Capture source and it’s still unusable.

Anyone else experiencing this?
Cheers

What happens to your memory usage when you do Window Capture? Open Activity Monitor and select Memory tab, and sort by Memory column (2nd column). This will show you what is consuming all your memory (which is likely what is causing your machine to lock up). The other thing to monitor is what happens to your graphics ram. You can do this with the Render Performance monitor (open with Shift-Command-R).

The other thing to check is if you have enough disk space for caching/swap.

The window capture works like this: mimoLive is asking the macOS to capture a certain window and provide it as an image to mimoLive. Because the macOS doesn’t have a complete representation of a window (because it potentially is covered by another window) it will configure an image storage and ask the Application that owns that window to draw the complete window into this storage. Now its the task of the 3rd party app to render the window content. Once it is finished the macOS will handle over the image storage to mimoLive for further processing. So it may be the 3rd party app that draws the window into that image that consumes all the resources.

However if you have enough screen space and can place the window in question completely visible on it then you can use the Screen Capture Source and apply cropping here so that you only have the window you are interested in the end. Because the screen content is known to macOS it can copy it directly into the image storage without the need for asking the 3rd party app to draw the window again. This is much faster and less resource intense.

However if you have enough screen space and can place the window in question completely visible on it then you can use the Screen Capture Source and apply cropping>
Ahh, yes I had noticed a difference, thank you for confirming and explaining why.