Using the new MacBook Pro with M1 Max and mimoLive for mobile live streaming

Going to mess around on a second hand Mac mini for a few months to see where it’s lacking (Already know 8 GB isn’t enough for my work so looking for a 16 GB Mac mini ATM), then wait for the mimoLive reviews to come in on M1 Pro/Max and decide then.

I agree, but we have to work with what we got.

If you have more time than money, it is still possible and maybe viable to build a Hackintosh. Although I heard that $ by $ the M1s might already be a better deal, even if you get the DIY components cheap.

1 Like

Good plan, I think. But I can tell you that the M1 Pro and Max already significantly outperform the M1. For mimoLive, that is mostly because of the increased bandwidth for memory access. The unified memory architecture takes out a lot of copying of video frames from CPU RAM to GPU RAM but we still have to get a lot of data in and out of the system.

2 Likes

i wonder if the Max is worth it over the Pro. it’s only another $200 to upgrade from the best Pro to the Max with 24 GPU cores. i’m definitely thinking about it. people reviewing for video editing software etc aren’t seeing the data bridge bandwidth doubling from Pro to Max payoff much. (and it’s a quadrupling over the M1 in the Mac mini) but i suspect for minolive it’s going to be significant when we have complex projects.

i think i need 1 TB SSD minimum. my very old MBP is already bursting with 512 GB and that’s just system and apps, almost all my media files and work are on external drives and SSDs, so i guess 2 TB would be better than 1 TB for future proofing. 4 Ideally!

so it comes down to RAM choice. 16 or 32 GB?

No, it’s not. Unfortunately, the m1max64gigs-package struggles with a document, which I used on macPro2013.

max over pro? maybe minolive needs an update for the new Pro/Max architecture. that is bizarre! should have factors more power than 2013 MBP. my 2015 MBP can’t even run a basic setup in mimolive now. i think the latest macOS versions have slowed it down a lot. also not much sad left for VRAM.

I’m sure that it is like this. The question is: can I wait? :smiley: … My 1500 hackintosh is able to handle it. So…

i don’t understand what you are saying now, sorry the joke is lost on me.

I just use my file with the hackintosh, problem solved. :slight_smile:

I wrote: mac Pro 2013 (not mac book pro 2013) :slight_smile:

ah $1500 hackintosh.

Yes. Oh, sorry! I did not write the currency. :smiley:

Hello, i make a same box with a mac studio. I want use 6 NDI 4K 30fps devices. Can you help me to choice between a mac studio M1max or a mac studio M1 ultra.thanks for you help me.
Best regards

I think M1 Max would handle the MimoLive part without any issues. But if money is no object spend more on M1 Ultra for future benefits.

I think your bigger issue will be network bandwidth. Full NDI at 4K30 is 200Mbps per stream. 6 x 200 is too much for a 1Gb network. You will need 10Gb network to handle.

https://www.magewell.com/blog/30/detail

2 Likes

Thanks for you answer.
I want to be sure that the mac studio have Gpu performance because we can not put a egpu like Mac intel.

One interesting idea with the Ultra: since it has (6) Thunderbolt ports, you could, perhaps, use (6) USB-to-ethernet NICs for the cameras, rather than an ethernet switch. By doing this, you avoid having to purchase a high-quality 10Gb ethernet switch for your Mac’s 10Gb ethernet port. On the other hand, your USB NICs (network interface cards) won’t have PoE. So, maybe you want a big switch after all.

1 Like

Hi @Patrice_Lakhia We haven’t done any performance testing on the M1 Ultra. Keep in mind that 6 4K30 sources have the same data rate as 24 1080p30 streams. If the devices use full NDI, that bandwidth is about 1.2 Gbps which means you’ll definitely need a 10Gbps switch.

1 Like

GPU Performance isn’t that critical for mimoLive. It’s not rendering complex sceneries with millions of surfaces. More important is the bandwidth available from RAM to video RAM, which should not be an issue with M1 unified memory architecture.

3 Likes