The Upgrade Dilemma

I am maxing out my machines CPU on a regular basis now that my mimoLive projects are becoming more advanced. Last year the obvious solution would be to upgrade to a more powerful machine, possibly get an external GPU.

Now that Apple are in the middle of their transition to Apple silicon with Arm based M1 chips, those choices are no longer so straight forward.

If I was commercial and working on commercial projects it would simply be a maths problem, working out the ROI and moving forward even it meant buying Intel based Macs.

However my work is for non profits so I essentially have no budget and every cent counts. I can only spend money raised from donations.

I currently work off a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), 2.5 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3.

A 1080p typical project would consist of an on premise host, two remote mimoCalls, and an incoming feed from a Zoom meeting. The outputs are a stream to Facebook and a return program feed into Zoom.

I would be very grateful for the communities suggestions as to how to create a stable system and what upgrade paths you can suggest.

@hutchinson.james_boi, the Automation Layer gave us more freedom in combining content. Where as everything had to be in a preview or in a multiView, now the Automation Layer allows to replace sources on the fly. Less layers at the stack, less to be always on, more free resources. Maybe this technique allows you to expand the time till the end of the year.

Scheme:
• unusedContent
• preloadedContent
• Content

Yes, it’s fiddeling, but maybe it helps to stay on your system for a while longer.