streaming to facebook and youtube simultaneously?

Hello, I am a newbie to streaming. But I would like to know the steps for me to be able to stream to Facebook and youtube simultaneously using mimiloive. Any assistance here will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much.
Mandee

Unfortunately, Facebook does not permit you to stream to other platforms at the same time, so MIMO blocks you from doing that

@Mandee Facebook only allows streaming to your own “brand page” simultaneously. For this purpose you can add RTMP destinations if you’ve already set up a Facebook destination.

Thanks for the response guys. I used the RTMP destinations and was able to do a test stream to both you tube and my Facebook page.

@Mandee Technically that’s possible. Just keep in mind that it’s against Facebook terms of service.

I’m curious about this Facebook simul-cast issue. There is a very popular show called Safari Live that is produced by National Geographic. They are live for a couple hours 2x every day. They do so simultaneously on Facebook, Periscope, and YouTube. Their YouTube signal is imbedded in their homepage (https://www.nationalgeographic.com/video/safari-live/#arathusa).

I have been able to duplicate this technologically with mimoLive using RTMP, and that works great. What I’m wondering is how they get around Facebook’s policy on this? Surely Facebook is aware of their violation, as this is a very prominent show. Does anyone have any insight into this? I’d like to simulcast, but don’t want to risk a Facebook ban.

@alternativeplan I’m also curious about this. I know of several shows that are streaming live to both YouTube and Facebook and I’ve never heard of sanctions by Facebook against anyone doing this. I wouldn’t recommend trying to tempt the gods of Facebook, though… :wink:

Hi there! One way to do it: stream to Facebook using mimoLive’s built in streamer and then add a “Syphon Video Sender” layer to the top of your layer stack. Then switch to OBS, create a “Game Capture (Syphon)” source to capture mimoLive’s video signal and stream it to YouTube or any other live streaming service. However, as @“Oliver (Boinx)” pointed out, do it on your own risk!

Another point is that, since Syphon doesn’t deal with sound, you will need a way to route your audio from mimoLive to OBS. An easy way to do it is by using good’old SoundFlower, but, if you have a few bucks to spare, I would recommend an application called “Loopback”, from Rogue Amoeba. It makes it incredibly easy to route audio between apps. Cheers!

@profgustavoreis Thank you for the tip. However, I am able to stream to Facebook, YouTube, and Periscope quite easily mimoLive. I stream to Facebook using the user authentication and then stream to Periscope and YouTube with RTMP. No need for additional software.

My question was about the Facebook terms of service. I have found the restriction in the developer notes only, but not in any of the user terms of service. I’m wondering if the restriction is on developers aiding with simulcasts and not on users. This may explain why National Geographic simulcasts so openly with no repercussions.

My question was about the Facebook terms of service. I have found the restriction in the developer notes only, but not in any of the user terms of service. I’m wondering if the restriction is on developers aiding with simulcasts and not on users. This may explain why National Geographic simulcasts so openly with no repercussions.

A very good point. There doesn’t seem to be any documentation about live video apart from the developer docs, however.

@alternativeplan The flipside of that is not having access to comments from both Facebook and YouTube in the newly available “Comments” and “Single Comments” layers, since these comments are only available by using the native, specific live streaming function for each platform. But that’s something that mimoLive is not allowed to make available anyway, given Facebook’s simulcast policy for developers.

I also noticed that offloading one of the live streaming channels to OBS improved overall performance a little bit on my 2012 iMac, but that observation is more empirical than scientific

Regarding the end user aspects of the Live terms of service, that’s a great point indeed! @“Oliver (Boinx)” would you or anyone at Boinx have connections within Facebook that would be able to make this clear? Thanks :slight_smile: