Standalone Player for Windows

I would really really like to be able to send slideshows to my windows friends , in the best possible quality :slight_smile: ,
Come on you FM user people, there must be lots of you that want it too, lets let them know how much we want it :-@

The standalone player currently only works under OS X. To make a slideshow playable on Windows, please export to a Quicktime movie, that can then be played if Quicktime is installed on the Windows PC.
We are thinking about a more universal player at the moment.

Thanks Bastian, yes this is what i am doing at present, and to be honest the quality is good but needs a little more work than just saving a slideshow to standalone, my slideshows are typically 45 minutes with a mix of photos and video so can be quite large in size (MBytes) so may not fit on a single DVD disk so I have to use something like handbrake to reduce the file size, again reducing quality,

Good day, we agree perfectly that one should be able to export to, and generate, also a Windows Standalone execute file of the same quality as on the Mac under OSX10… Several weeks ago we submitted this as a modification request to Boinx. I hope that this will be included in a future release (noting that all other output formats are of a much lower quality). Kevin

Hi,
Am I missing something? I am trying to learn how to use Fotomagico.
I have a slideshow with audio that lasts for about 13 minutes.
If I save as HD the quality is fine, BUT the file is 700 megs, which is enormous for sending to clients.
If I try to save as a YouTube video or in various other formats the quality is really lousy. The titles for instance, are totally pixelated. Nice that the file is 100 megs, BUT there must be some way to get good quality and small file size, No??

File size is always a compromise between quality and the actual size, so good quality always takes much more space than bad quality. If you double the resolution (number of pixels), the data will be four times as much. That’s the reason actual HD movies are only sold on BluRay-disks and not on DVD.
So please consider either to create a standalone player (which will be smaller but only run on a Mac) or find another way to make HD files available. I can recommend DropBox as a good service for sharing files as well as services like yousendit.com or fyels.com .

Hi Rudolf,
Thanks for your time.
What I don’t understand is this…
Lots of people have YouTube videos up that are pretty good quality, but still rather small. Being that my 13 minutes slideshow takes up 700 megs, which is the same size as a usual TWO HOUR movie, am I not still missing another alternative or two? The pixelation when I make a YouTube video is horrible!
Is there a cross-platform compression software I can use that will send out the file in a good deal smaller format?

OR,
Another thought-
Since what I have made is indeed a slide show and is not meant to be a movie, is there no way to save my slideshow in some form/software, that will be available to most everyone?

TIA

700mb for a two hour movie results in a quite bad quality to be honest. Even a normal DVD which is not considered as “high quality” nowadays anymore usually contains up to 4.7GB.

Have you clicked the checkbox saying “High definition” in the YouTube export dialog?

Shows you create with FotoMagico are technically movies, the content does not have to do with the actual format.

Ah hah!

I had been missing the HD toggle!
Thanks Rudolf! That makes all the difference!

“The standalone player currently only works under OS X. To make a slideshow playable on Windows, please export to a Quicktime movie, that can then be played if Quicktime is installed on the Windows PC.
We are thinking about a more universal player at the moment.”

Is there any progress in regards to Standalone player for windows ??

Thanks

No, there isn’t, sorry. So far there is none in sight to be honest. We have a more universal solution in mind though.

Sorry I was thinking they were one and the same , so any positive progress since you mentioned this in your reply dated May 18th

Thanks

We had the idea of creating a dedicated windows player but that got discontinued. There are no news that can be shared at this point in time. At the moment, we keep suggesting exporting a video.

Ok thanks for letting us know, although it was very disappointing to hear.