Set-up for 18 mimoCalls?

Hi there,

I was watching the mimoLive Keynote livesteam today and Oliver mentioned that a customer was able to have 18 mimoCalls using a high-powered iMac. Could anyone give details on this set-up?

Thank you,

jb

Oliver said the customer was using the high-end iMac Pro with a serious video card, lots of memory on the video card (GPU) and a fast CPU with lots of RAM. That’s where it would start, and good interwebs between all the callers and host Mac.

I agree it would be good to hear more. And how many calls we can be confindent of hosting with say a current i7 (2018 model) macMini? How many more mimoCalls if we add an eGPU to the macMini?

And also, you have to have a loooooot of internet bandwidth

If we’re doing one video and the other 17 calls are audio-only, any idea on how much bandwidth is needed?

I did more than 18 people but used zoom instead. i have a fairly ok macbook pro 2017 so a lot of mimocalls would definitely bog down the mbp. so to get the best possible quality zoom can offer, run it on a separate computer, i used a basic core i5 desktop (office computer), feed that into NDI scan converter, add an NDI source to mimoLive and use the desktop pc as source in the NDI. Note that NDI can stream as much as 4k quality so whatever quality you see in that zoom call, that’s the same quality you can feed to your mimolive. need to have 2 screens though in the desktop but u dont need to have an actual physical dual monitor you can use NDI monitor in your mac to actually view the second screen so zoom will use the 2nd screen as speaker view, grab that as NDI source, put in a placer in mimolive, then you can now let zoom do the switching when somebody speaks in the zoom call. so basically this setup will only have one video source, NDI, which is basically a desktop running zoom with more than 18 people and will not hog all your cpu/gpu resource. :slight_smile:

so to get the best possible quality zoom can offer, run it on a separate computer, i used a basic core i5 desktop (office computer), feed that into NDI scan converter, add an NDI source to mimoLive and use the desktop pc as source in the NDI

Were you running a Zoom Pro account to get HD quality?

Can you explain a but about the NDI scan converter, is that hardware connected to the PC or software running on the PC or software/hardware on the MBP?

Thanks.