No Interlaced (1080i) option for Project

Hi Support

Can you please add interlaced options for the project setup on your next build please?

Having only progressive project setups makes it a bit tricky when playing it out on TV

Many Thanks

Mark

Mimolive is a digital computer era Software.
Many playback methods, like computer monitors or modern HD TVs, do not support interlacing.
All streaming services are progresive.

Otherwise, interlaced video is a technique that was developed over 70 years ago.

I thing you asking wrong feature, in the wrong place…

Hi @Mdillon1 Thanks for the feature request.

I agree with @JMVBMW that interlaced is not the way of the future.

However, you can play out interlaced over SDI with suitable Blackmagic hardware.

See SDI Playout - mimoLive - 5

1 Like

It may not be the way of the future but it is still very much a heavily used standard for TV around the world. Surely having an option to create your project in 1080i is an easy addition? Then that ensures that all recordings are the same as the source video files you import into the system.

An example, If I am recording/ingesting files in another system in 1080i then I would expect to keep the field order exactly the same all the way through the production workflow instead of mixing interlaced and progressive content because there isnt an option to record/ setup the project in 1080i.

Naturally Im aware you can play out 1080i using Blackmagic but that doesnt solve the issue of the project being in 1080i. If the project is in 1080p all assets will have interlacing lines present when changed to 1080i via the BMD Decklink or similar surely?

Thanks for the comments. I see your point about interlaced still being used a lot in TV.

Keeping the field order exactly the same all the way through production isn’t as easy as it sounds. One of mimoLive’s great strengths is that you can basically ingest anything and mix it up easily. Doing this with interlaced mode is a pain. For example, how would you correctly do a 2 Up of a 1080i59.97 and a 720i50 source and output to 1080i60? In progressive mode, this is relatively easy.

If the project is in 1080p all assets will have interlacing lines present when changed to 1080i via the BMD Decklink or similar surely?

A few years ago, I had a customer who needed to play out to an older system in 720i. They produced in 1080p and it looked ok. I realise that the quality probably didn’t meet TV broadcast quality requirements, though and they have since moved to 1080p for distribution as well.