Missing Media Error: Does This Fix Work for YOU?

@netrene: I agree with you that those restrictions e.g. in iOS lead to the annoying fact that apps can’t exchange data easily. But I also like the fact that I can install any software without worrying about my private data. On the MacOS side this is another story: It is very important to share data between apps and we have to deal with Apple’s approach to solve this problem.

Apple has got a certain use case in mind when developing those things and our goal at WWDC is not only to learn from them but also to tell Apple what we need.

It make no sense to me to work against MacOS. It only makes sense to me to work together with Apple to make the best applications on the most reliable OS in the world for you, our customers!

@Achim
I’m sorry for beeing quite pessimistic you’ll be able to change Apple’s mind on these things, but as your customer I cross my fingers.

Spent some time with the developer in the last hour. I was able to show how the problem occurs and he knows now what fix is needed.

To workaround this problem is pretty simple. If you added some new pictures the Save command doesn´t work. Just close the document with the red cross instead and it will be saved correctly.

He also gave me a new beta with the possibility to automatically fix broken slideshows without clicking 500 times. It searches for the right folders automatically. You just have to point the system to a folder that contains all the pics. It´s even working if you used different subfolders, they just have to be in one root folder. That worked really great and I was able to recover my broken slideshow and save hours of work.

So it looks pretty good and I´m quite optimistic the next beta will do the job.

Thank you Peter!

The latest beta adds quick repair of slideshows with missing media files. Download it at:

http://cdn.boinx.com/software/fotomagico/Boinx_FotoMagico_4.3b3-18530.zip

More coming in the next few days.

Things are looking up with this new beta… Working on “small” slideshow of 184 slides (9.5 minutes) I was “missing” about a dozen photos everytime I edited. Also, when I tried to make a standalone app, I would get only the first slide and all the audio but nothing else.

With the last beta (4.3b2-18504.zip) missing files seemed better if I saved as and the standalone app creations worked. With this beta (4.3b2-18530.zip) the missing files issue seems gone and although “Save” is greyed out -if I try to exit or share, it prompts me to save all media and goes through a save…

So at least for me, this gets version 4.3 working. Thought you could use some good news after all the frustrating posts. Keep at it, we’re almost there!

Once again a new beta:

http://cdn.boinx.com/software/fotomagico/Boinx_FotoMagico_4.3b4-18538.zip

This one makes the search algorithm for missing files even more robust, e.g. when the original files came from your desktop computer, but you’re away somewhere with your MacBook. You still want to repair the missing files (they are on the disk of you MacBook), the new algorithm tries to find them there as well.

Yet another new beta with more improvements:

http://cdn.boinx.com/software/fotomagico/Boinx_FotoMagico_4.3b5-18543.zip

New is a better document recovery feature should work have been lost after a crash.

I got the program through the App store. How do I get a license to run the beta version?

Many thanks for the quick improvements! It was such a huge surprise when I began losing information right and left. FM has always been very stable previously. I understand working with sandboxing can be difficult and hopefully the worst is over!

@HoosierCuse: Please send your iTunes receipt to support(at)boinx.com and ask for a download licenses.

@MathewUSF: Thanks for staying with us! :slight_smile:

Come on, why should we even have to try these ‘fixes’?? We paid for the program, it should work.

@Crasharama: It isn’t our policy to let paying users test our apps after we released them. On the other hand we can’t test thousands of system configurations and environments ourselves. Thats why we do beta testing: Everyone is invited to participate and help us to improve the software.

Get the latest beta here:

http://cdn.boinx.com/software/fotomagico/Boinx_FotoMagico_4.3b6-18556.zip

Fixing missing media files has been made more robust for some existing slideshow documents.

4.3 has been released for our regular customers. The App Store version is still waiting for approval from Apple.

How long does it take (round about) till apple approves the update?

@LionelTwain: We expect the approval at the beginning of the upcoming week.

4.3 ist da und funktioniert so auf den ersten Blick fehlerlos :slight_smile:

@CevauGe: Vielen Dank für das Feedback! :slight_smile: