mimoLive + MBP + External encoder

Does mimoLive allow the use of an external encoder (a form of external graphic card that does the job) can this be selected in the settings if so any help would be welcome.

I currently use a very powerful MBP but I would prefer if I can take some stress off the laptop since it’s also being used for a DJ software (while streaming) and its also ressources hungry.

p.s. Please do not suggest using a different machine which will kill the entire purpose of this ticket.

Many thanks

Hi! Thanks for using mimoLive and for reaching out.

As far as I know there is no external encoder other than playing out the video signal via HDMI or SDI (through a Blackmagic DeckLink). This of course is fully supported and might help get some load off the MacBook Pro. However, it would be useful to analyse why your MBP is stressed. DJ software should not use that many resources. The stream encoding should use the hardware encoder and not cost you a lot of resources.

1 Like

Thanks for your prompt response I love mimoLive and worth every penny. I am not expert on the ressources etc but whenever I use it the fans go all wild… clearly using a lot under the hood. I do sometimes use a DJ software under the hood as well (hardly since I use mimoLive) and it has never crashed… NEVER!!!

That blackmagic theory is interesting. This can offload some of the work right?

I’ve had success hanging an AMD eGPU off my MacBook Pro - the Sonnet Puck is a good example.

I am not sure if the actual h.264 gets offloaded (I’m running a very intensive MimoLive document with about 30 layers) but it completely eliminated some of the framedrops I was seeing with most of my layers enabled.

Cheers,
A

Do you feel the difference is worth it. My machine is a pretty solid MBP with 8 Cores and 64GB ram and a Decent AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB. My only concern is the load and the heating as I am using that same machine to run my DVS (another software for music) which normally doesn’t take much power/ressources etc.

R

Not sure if the eGPU helps significantly with the heat problem. Of course, the part of the heat generated by the built in GPU gets eliminated, but I don’t know how much that contributes.

On a 2019 16" “Ultimate-spec”, I’ve not seen any thermal problems with or without the eGPU. On a 2018 15" the eGPU significantly improved performance - the 16" has far better thermal design than the previous 15" MacBooks.

Are u telling me you don’t hear fans during usage!!! I’ll be shocked!!!

The fans do spin up - in fact, when I’m on a gig I use a piece of software called Macs Fan Control to pin my fans at 100%.

I have not experienced any thermal throttling since buying this machine, especially compared to the 15".

~a

No offense, but since I’ve started this thread everyone keeps talking to me about Thermal issues while I haven’t mentioned that a single time.

I was talking about the fans and the source usage, fans are only triggered of high level of CPU /GPU are in use (I will never use an app like yours to control the fans speed, since your first mistake would cost you the laptop on the spot)

I was hoping there was a way to tweak to reduce this load or maybe pass it on to an external GPU etc.

The fans are for cooling the computer. If they are running, it means the computer is getting hot. This can mean that the CPU reduces it’s performance to avoid overheating.

Can you let me know the exact Mac model you’re using so I can suggest a possible solution? There is no general solution that works for everyone.

Hi Oliver:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro16,1
Processor Name: 8-Core Intel Core i9
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 16 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 64 GB

Virtual DJ is giving problems in the last update, you must activate processing by CPU not GPU, I had this problem with Macbook Pro 2020 i9 CPU, if virtual DJ is configured in GPU the device heats up and slow down other apps

My Brother i have three of these computers and i can tell you that once its a macbook pro, heat will make it run as slow as a snail pulling a rock. I too didnt understand this but after time and time again of the issue happening i slowly caught on. the best thing you can do is get three things.

1. A Cooling Pad (very Powerful)
  2. A USB FAN.
  3. Another USB FAN (just for more cooling)

Those three things my friend must be running from the time u open your computer lid.
i can give you this advice because it has helped me tooo well.

there were times i would wonder… How in the Hell is my Macbook Pro 16 inch i9 maxed out in Mimolive’s CPU LOAD Meter window when all i have running is a single camera source and a placer layer??? what is going on? I did not understand it until checking out my performance readings for myself and seeing a nacbook pro of 2.4 GHz moving to being a Macbook Pro 1.1 Ghz or less if the sun is directly on it, i will not recommend u trying this test because mine died and had to be opened by a technician to resume a healthy life of work doing only word processing. *franly because i will not trust it again on any important task like running mimolive or after effects or premiere pro or davinci resolve.

i use to use my MBP outside in the sun and mind you i am living in the caribbean ive seen my MBP just die on me because of the heat and all i was doing on it is previewing a camera, no streaming no recording just previewing a camera. HEAT KILLS MAC BOOK PROS DEAD!!!

Sorry to hear this. If you have a MBP 16", you might want to turn of Turbo Boost mode using the Turbo Boost Switcher app. This has helped a lot of people as it apparently is the Turbo Boost that drives the heat development to the extreme.

I am ok and sorted @Oliver_Boinx ive sorted my heat and throttling issues for now. i currently use my turbo boost with no issues as long as i have all my external fan working.

Yeah that’s a different problem which I realised and fixed as well exactly as you’ve described it (I also use VDJ) I was also having issues when loading the tracks, this is now fully fixed.

Any chance for some models example please…

I’m using this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LX6VNBE/

It seems that it’s no longer available, but you can easily find a similar product.

Hi thanks for sharing the link. I wonder how can such fans help the MBP considering all the air is coming from the edge and not the button. I’ll google around to see if I can find something more appropriate but thanks