MimoCall best practices

I’m preparing a remote event to be streamed in Zoom in which 5+1 speakers will be remotely connected through Mimocall.
The first moderator will open up the event and then will introduce speaker 2, then back to moderator, then he will introduce speaker 3 and so on.
Each speaker will talk for about 10minutes, in fullscreen (no need for splitscreen with the moderator).
I am setting up the sources and I have a few doubts:

• Would it be better to have all of the speaker connected since the beginning, or is it better that they are joining when they will be called?

• If I have all the speakers connected all the time, how can I mute them when they are not talking? I can only see the additional GAIN control. Should I just use that? doesn’t seem very handy

• Would this have performance impact on mimo and the network if all of them are connected simultaneously through the whole duration of the event? I have a 400/20 mbps connection, is it enough bandwidth? also considering I’m going into Zoom Webinar from mimo. I think I’ll get 720p from remote webcams.

• How should I route the audio? each speaker will have to hear to the moderator, but also considering there could be a final Q&A session in which maybe each one of them will have to also hear what others are saying and then replying. I was thinking of using MimoCall to just get the image into mimo, then letting them join Zoom as attendees so they will hear (and be heard with their mic) directly on Zoom.

• is it possible to customise the mimocall link?

thank you!

I’m preparing a remote event to be streamed in Zoom in which 5+1 speakers will be remotely connected through Mimocall.
The first moderator will open up the event and then will introduce speaker 2, then back to moderator, then he will introduce speaker 3 and so on.
Each speaker will talk for about 10minutes, in fullscreen (no need for splitscreen with the moderator).

Very cool!

I am setting up the sources and I have a few doubts:

• Would it be better to have all of the speaker connected since the beginning, or is it better that they are joining when they will be called?

This depends on how you handle the onboarding. It might be better to have them all join an hour before the event to make sure that everything works because it’s difficult to make adjustments during the event.

In any case you might want to set up a Whatsapp or phone back channel where you can get in touch with them if something is going wrong.

• If I have all the speakers connected all the time, how can I mute them when they are not talking? I can only see the additional GAIN control. Should I just use that? doesn’t seem very handy

I always recommend to separate audio and video. So you would have one layer for the video (maybe the Switcher Layer) and then one Audio Layer for each caller. You can easily mute the Audio Layer.

• Would this have performance impact on mimo and the network if all of them are connected simultaneously through the whole duration of the event? I have a 400/20 mbps connection, is it enough bandwidth? also considering I’m going into Zoom Webinar from mimo. I think I’ll get 720p from remote webcams.

Of course 5 mimoCalls take more resources than just one. For each channel you need about 3 Mbps each way. So 5 calls over your 20Mbps upload is going to cut it close. Add to that the bandwidth you will still need for Zoom.

• How should I route the audio? each speaker will have to hear to the moderator, but also considering there could be a final Q&A session in which maybe each one of them will have to also hear what others are saying and then replying. I was thinking of using MimoCall to just get the image into mimo, then letting them join Zoom as attendees so they will hear (and be heard with their mic) directly on Zoom.

The callers will hear the moderator if the moderator is in the program out mix. If you have audio and video come in over separate channels, you will have a lag between them due to the different latencies. The audio will not be in synch with the video. It will even change over time so you can’t compensate for this. In addition, Zoom defaults to highlight the video of the person speaking highlighting the call from the speaker over your production video.

• is it possible to customise the mimocall link?

What would you like to customize?

I was more curious if the mimocall would handle well several connections for a couple of hours without a glitch.

is this number an exact value? how much is going to change if I use VP9 compared to H264?

I’m not sure I’m getting this. what do you mean by “separate channels”? you mean layers as you suggested?
I think managing the whole audio part in Zoom, for this particular case, it’s an easiest way than doing it in mimo. the highlight is not a problem, it’s a webinar so I can force everyone to see my virtualcam from mimo :slight_smile:

something like “customnameofmywebinar-speaker-progressivenumber” would be perfect in this case