Loop Back alternative

Hi all, just thought I’d share something I’ve discovered with the Wave3 Microphone from Elgato. If you have one of these microphones you can use a program called Wave Link.

This offers the same functionality as LoopBack and provides you with a mixing desk to bring audio from other apps. For it to work you have to have an Elgato wave mic connected to your computer.

As loopback is about $120 (£85) and the wave1 is about £110 you can get a really nice mic for about the same price as loopback.

Just thought I’d share

Have a look at BlackHole or VB-CABLE.

1 Like

I compiled BlackHole to use with Skype, Zoom, Discord, Slack and many more. Yes, it would be also possible with NDI, but with the analog channels, there is no fiddeling against the dynamic NDI “mapping” at the sources. I did for each a virtual input and a virtual output device. This helps me to avoid to get confusted (or mix something up). And it was much easier than I thought before. Amazing!

Another option — cheaper than Loopback and richer in features — is SoundDesk.

Thanks for the recommondation.

Sometimes, Apps do use exclusively channel 1 and channel 2 to submit outputs or receive inputs, even I can select a “soundcard”. Can I configure there virtual input-/output-devices, on the fly, without mix-minusing this in its client? For example: I cannot select explicite audio channels within Skype/Zoom. So I decided to compile BlackHole for each usage instread of fiddeling around.

Now, I have these virtual Soundcards (excerpt):

• Skype_in
  • Skype_out
  • Zoom_in
  • Zoom_out
  • Discord_in
  • Discord_out

Inside of mimoLive it’s vice versa. in = out and out = in.

This solved lots of unnecessary routing.

I don’t know if there is any simpler way to do that. I usually use Loopback to achieve the same goal. I guess SoundDesk could also help, but I don’t know it that well. Anyway, they offer a 15-day trial, so you can check it by yourself.

I do not see an advantage over my current solution. I love the what you see is what you get paradigm. But I keep the tipps in mind.

Have you found any extra latency as a result of using Soundesk?

For sure, you get a bit of extra latency. It all depends on the amount of processing (effects) you add to the chain. If you use SoundDesk only to adjust volumes and route audio to different outputs, the delay is minimal (I guess it is below 20 ms).

2 Likes

Hmmm… so, it could be handy to get rid of Presonus Studio 192, especially when 99% of all audio is already inside the Mac. :nerd_face: … You have to know that I had several digital voices in my “German” show. “Helga” and “Niedermühlenbichler Karl”. I have to try the demo. Who knows, maybe I can modulate the voices again, without using Logic/Main Stage. It was very performance intensive and lead to audio drifting. … And on the other hand, I miss the voices. It was too funny!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: