Looking at Mimolive - Atem Mini Pro -chromakey - basic advice

Hi all,

Im just about to buy a atem mini pro. My use case is that I mostly do training videos - powerpoint and would like to become a little more professional with putting me over the presentation with a green screen through a pip effect.

I also do a lot of online training on zoom calls and would love to jazz things up a little. I chose the atem mini pro (iso) as it feels like a good hardware solution (as i’m mostly PC)

As the atem has very basic effects / media control I was thinking about using Mimolive as a source into the atem mini pro to overlap effects / graphics and use it as a video source also. The only challenge is that many of these items would need to be overlayed on the atem mini as my main source.

I started reading about SDI however have found that the atem mini pro does not support SDI input and going SDI just for the overlays seems to be an overkill in my mind.

I just wanted to gain some advice on weather i could acheive this with HDMI + Chromakey and if there are any other options I have not considered?

My main camera sources would be 2 to 3 max! :slight_smile:

Thanks

Hi @Zoomachine (I love the nickname!)

Thanks for considering mimoLive. The only way to feed graphics into the ATEM is by using HDMI and chromakey. However, that doesn’t give you transparency as the keyer can’t key out partly green…

A much more professional and versatile alternative would be to use a Blackmagic Quad HDMI Recorder card in an external PCIe Expander box. This gives you 4 HDMI inputs directly into mimoLive which allows for a lot more creative freedom with your 2 to 3 video sources… From mimoLive you can send video and audio directly to Zoom using the mimoLive Virtual Camera. Works great, I’m using it every day.

Hi Oliver thank you for the quick reply!

hahaha i was trying to avoid going with a software solution but this may fit the need well. I assume the HDMI card would connect to the mac via thunderbold or similar?

This would mean Mimolive would be my core switcher solution + HDMI care for input of up to 4 video feeds and potentially the ipad App / Stream Deck for easy preconfigured buttons / transition :slight_smile:

I also wanted to ask if there is an ideal Macbook Pro Model that would suit this setup?

The only alternative i’ve researchred would be needing a switcher with SDI inputs and feeding in the layers via SDI which i think would be a much more costly solution to Macbook Pro + HDMI Card.

Appreciate your feedback!

Also last question :slight_smile: What would be the best way to deal with audio in this setup into the mac? i.e. if there were multiple audio inputs or mics? I assume we would need another audio interface or mixer - and there would need to be an ability to audio sync video + audio sources which to be honest is one of the bigger challenges I have seen across different setups. Not sure if MimoLive can do audio video sync

Thank you again :slight_smile:

Yes

This would mean Mimolive would be my core switcher solution + HDMI care for input of up to 4 video feeds and potentially the ipad App / Stream Deck for easy preconfigured buttons / transition :slight_smile:

The mimoLive Remote Control Surface is much more powerful than the Stream Deck. :slight_smile:

I also wanted to ask if there is an ideal Macbook Pro Model that would suit this setup?

To be perfectly honest, I’m not currently recommending MacBook Pros because of the heat problems that come with their design. If you need to be mobile, get the 16inch with i9 for best performance. If you do not need to be mobile, get a 27" iMac with at least i7.

The only alternative i’ve researchred would be needing a switcher with SDI inputs and feeding in the layers via SDI which i think would be a much more costly solution to Macbook Pro + HDMI Card.

Correct.

There are easy to use multi-channel mixers if you have multiple microphones. If you use multiple microphones, analog microphones are the best way to do it and something like the Alesis MultiMix 8 USB FX for mixing.

If you want to be ultra-professional with your sound, get a Countryman E6 microphone and a Sennheiser wireless to go into the mixer. Then, get a Røde Wireless Go and an N-ear in ear piece for an in-ear monitor. This setup is almost invisible and allows you to move around freely.

If you ingest a camera via HDMI and the audio via a USB audio interface, the difference is unnoticable. If the camera has a bigger delay in HDMI, you can easily delay audio in mimoLive to synch it up. There even is an A/V sync test layer in mimoLive to help you measure the exact delay.