Logitech Brio 4k

Hey guys,

I’ve been trying to use my Brio at 4k on my mac, having recently experimented with it on a windows pc. On the PC, I’m able to set it at 4k (and numerous other resolutions) via OBS, etc. However, when I try doing this on OSX and mimoLive, I get huge amounts of lag at any resolution over 1080. In fact, 1080 is where it appears that any ‘native’ support finishes, and the use of MJPEG openDML begins.

To rule out my macbook (pro, 2018 i9 variant) being the culprit, I’ve installed OSX on my pc. A hackintosh. The results here are exactly the same as on the macbook pro, huge lag at anything over 1080. To reiterate, this is the same pc that handles 4k just fine on windows.

My question is: whats the deal here? Is there some different implementation of how mimoLive/OSX handle webcams? Is it a logitech problem?

I even tried another demo of Wirecast on OSX, they don’t even list 4k as an option for this webcam.

PS - before anyone asks, the Brio is definitely using a USB3 port. On the macbook and the pc!

Lags can happen when ever the processing of data sin’t fast enough. In mimoLive we consider 3 frames buffer at the input side to be enough and if we getting the frames faster than we can handle then we are going to drop them (which is also shown in the Source Performance Monitor). I have tested the Brio at 4k and it gives a solid 30fps regarding to the Source Performance Monitor in mimoLive. What does it says on your end? Does the combination Mac/OBS work as expected? What about a video recording in QuickTime Player?

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. I should have been more clear, I am using the virtual camera, not recording, as I am making calls via skype/zoom.

Because of this, the latency is between actions I perform and the live monitor in mimoLive/on screen via skype or zoom.

So the issue isn’t dropped frames, it’s latency. I should have stated that clearer in the original post.

What I’m not sure about, though, is why only 1080 is listed as a resolution option, and anything over that requires MJPEG, when this isn’t the case on windows.

Thanks again!