Is my graphics card up to snuff?

Image quality is extremely important to me. I stopped making slideshows because my photos in slideshows exported to DVDs were so blurry. I have not bought FotoMagico yet, but noticed that they recommend you have a good graphics card or else the photos may be blurry. My iMac’s graphics card is an ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256 MB. Anyone know if that is good enough for sharp images in FotoMagico slideshows?

It is a big difference between running the slideshow live by FotoMagico (high framerate 60fps, all the pixels the display and your photos can offer) vs. exporting the slideshow to a DVD format (low frame rate max 30fps, 720x486 pixels video frame resolution). Nowadays you want to burn either a blue ray disk (which involves special 3rd party hardware to burn such a disk) or render your show into a HD resolution QuickTime movie and burn it on a data disc.

Additionally the output quality of the export process isn’t depending on your graphics card at all. Its the used video codec, the data rate, the video resolution and the frame rate.

If the export process is not dependent on my graphics card why do I constantly get the error “the slideshow could not be exported because graphics card does not seem to have the required capabilities” We are using version 4.3.1 on OS 10.8.5

We have spent days on slideshows for clients only to have it blow up on share and have to switch to Pulp motion. Is there a fix or should we just uninstall your product?

@sasjse Which computer hardware are you using? Which graphics card model is in use?

iMac 27 inch 2.93 ghz core i7 4 cores, 12 gb memory, ATI Radeon 5750 1GB memory but why does the hardware matter if, as you stated above, “Additionally the output quality of the export process isn’t depending on your graphics card at all. Its the used video codec, the data rate, the video resolution and the frame rate.”

@sasjse: My statement “export process isn’t depending on your graphics card” referred to the term “compression quality in the final exported movie”, not to the ability to export. Sorry if this was unclear.

I checked your issue in the program code of FotoMagico and found out that this error message may be a bit misleading: It should include the words “with your settings” meaning that you may asked to export the slideshow in an extreme high pixel resolution which isn’t supported by the graphics card to render.

What export setting and options did you use when getting this error message?
Because we changed the export process completely, please can you try the same export with this beta version 4.4b4 ( http://boinx.com/fotomagico/beta )?

I will be interested to hear about SASJSE’s results. I found 4.4b4 to have severe issues, as well. See my post about IQ when burning to BDR and the shimmer/ghosting.

I am struggling to create an .mov file and get the same failure message…My settings always were the default and never had this problem before…only with this new export process/upgrade???

I cannot even use IDVD, Pro Res or Custom… Nothing works but the standalone and no one in support picks up the phone or responds, at least to my support requests…

@RJG15: Sorry for the trouble. As far as I know support has already contacted you and hopefully there will be a solution for the issue.