Input Quality (color, Sharpness, Clarity) Is great. However Program output is horrible. Why?

Can someone please help me understand why My video Input to Mimolive is so great & My Program out is so bad. Am i not calibrating something? Please Help me.

You Can Clearly See the Degradation in Quality for the program Output.

Thanks for posting the pictures so we can see what you mean. Engineering will take a look. My guess is that it’s related to color space conversions. This happens if the video source is a different color space than the program out. Can you please check what color space the Mini Recorder is set to?

I cant say Oliver the desktop video app doesn’t have an option to show that

Ah, yes. Sorry. I got confused by other Blackmagic Design devices who have this option. We’re slowly catching up and will get to this problem asap. Thanks for your patience.

THANK YOU OLIVER :fist:t5::+1:t5:

I REPLIED TO ANOTHER THREAD CONCERNING FULL SCREEN PROGRAM OUT. THAT IS ANOTHER IMPORTANT REQUEST WE’D LIKE TO SEE COME INTO AN UPDATE.
ALSO A PROPER LIVE REPLAY WORKFLOW SOMETHING LIKE WHAT VMIX HAS GOING ON. I MADE A THREAD ABOUT THAT. :pray:t5::+1:t5::+1:t5:

1 Like

Hi. I was trying to research our issue and came upon this chain to which it may be related. We are having trouble with program output color when the program is created via a Mimocall screenshare. See the above screenshots. In both cases, the upper is the program output using my colleague’s Mimocall and the lower is just output with me outputting the image via a Placer using the same settings. The red becomes more of an orange or rust and so forth. The differences in color are significant, which would impact our recording of a client’s slides using their branded colors. Can someone provide advice on this issue? Thank you!

1 Like

ive been faced with this issue for a very long time. Issue is still present today, i to is patiently awaiting a fix.

2 Likes

Does it change, when you place a solid black background at the end of your document? PGM has a transparent Background. Maybe this is influencing the final result.

See the difference:

Try Yourself:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IJxCv63wNDrqhKPkXUhHnvpvKIpp7vQz/view?usp=sharing

By the way, there are more elegant ways to create a 2D Presenter. The 2D-Presenter uses “layers below”, which is created by a syphon-sub instance (And what happens when you copy a VHS to another VHS-tape and the copy of the VHS-tape to another VHS-tape? I think there is a “generation” problem also).

You could re-create a 2D-presenter without using syphon:

Simply delete these pairs of variants you do not need. Backwards-Cycling needs at least mimoLive V5.10.1b2.

@MiniMattersEL : This is because of different color profiles and cannot be avoided. A computer does have a bunch of more colors then a TV. I think that it is better to set the color profile of the submitting mac to sRGB or Rec. 709. A codec is always restricted to a certain color profile and subsampling. MimoCall uses V9 or h.264. Bitrate can also influence colors (lost in compression).

This test over a Mimocall will also be on the agenda for tomorrow!
-Elissa

2 Likes

How that happens that the absence of a background layer affects the appearance of the other layers? Is that a bug? Should we put a black background layer in all our files?

While converting an image with alpha channel to an image without alpha channel, it seems to be that the alpha channel is also a part of the calculation. I think it’s a guess of the converter to use some kind of black. However, it’s a feature to have a transparent PGM out, so you’re able to use it as a graphics engine for other applications. If it’s a huge difference for your PGM out, I’d suggest to terminate with a full screen black background.

Understood. How can I use the transparent program output? For instance, how can I input the mimoLive transparent program output into my ATEM Mini?

The ATEM mini does not support Key-in. You could use a green Background and the ATEM mini’s keyer. (But this does not realy work well, especially when the green becomes too gray.) You’d need an ATEM switcher with SDI-in (and 10bit/8bit 4:4:4:4 support). See Desktop Video settings for the output (subsampling).

Or I can use a black background with the luma key.

Is mimoLive capable of outputting NDI with alpha channel?

A pity, I don’t know. Syphon: yes.

I just tested the NDI + alpha output. It works. Great discovery!

2 Likes

Thx for your feedback, it expanded my capabilities! :heart_eyes::raised_hands: