Impact of new Apple Silicon on mimoLive

After the yesterdays announcement of the new M1 and the availability of a new mac mini with M1 I am wondering what the impact will be on using mimoLive? They claim an graphocs improvement of upto 6x. On the other hand it seems that eGPUs will not work with the new mac mini.

@Oliver_Breidenbach and @Achim_Boinx, do you have any idea how this will impact the performance of mimoLive? Are you already having some experience, using one of the developer machines?

It would be awesome if the graphic performance for mimoLive - for a regular mac mini - would significantly improve.

Best regards - Torsten

@Torsten Thanks for joining the forum and for using mimoLive!

After the yesterdays announcement of the new M1 and the availability of a new mac mini with M1 I am wondering what the impact will be on using mimoLive? They claim an graphocs improvement of upto 6x. On the other hand it seems that eGPUs will not work with the new mac mini.

I don’t know about the eGPUs yet, although there is no reason why they shouldn’t work. There may be a lack of drivers, though.

@Oliver_Breidenbach and @Achim_Boinx, do you have any idea how this will impact the performance of mimoLive? Are you already having some experience, using one of the developer machines?

At this point, mimoLive will use Rosetta 2. This is mostly because mimoLive relies on a number of third party components that are not yet available for Apple Silicon. Using Rosetta 2, I don’t think the M1 devices will outperform the Intel machines.

It would be awesome if the graphic performance for mimoLive - for a regular mac mini - would significantly improve.

For this, we have to complete the transition to Metal.

We’ve just ordered a number of M1 Macs so we will be able to give more info about this soon.

1 Like

Could it be that you’re really regretting that statement by now? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Is there any roadmap you can share as far as getting mimo on Apple Silicon (natively) in the meantime?? I can’t seem to find any “official” statements in form of a blog post or press release.

Hi @Rob1 “regret” is a strong word… mimoLive performs better on a 12 core iMac Pro than on the M1 Mac Mini. Right now, any comparison is unfair on some level, though.

Er… seriously? :smile: I’m not sure what you’re suggesting by not at least comparing core for core. That mimo shouldn’t be run on anything less than a 12 core iMac Pro?

Either way, that still proves how painfully premature the “I don’t think the M1 devices will outperform the Intel machines” assumption was when you have to go with 4 more cores to make the point, don’t you think? Hence my comment. Because clearly: they do. Many times over.

So nothing about a potential roadmap? Because I don’t have a 12 core iMac Pro and mimo isn’t exactly running very well on the 2,7 GHz Quad-Core i7 I’m using. And running it under Rosetta will undoubtedly not exactly help matters much. :unamused:

I didn’t say “the same or lower priced Intel machines with the same or fewer cores”. What I meant was that for a while there will be Intel Macs on offer that outperform the M1 Macs on offer. And that is true until Apple comes out with a Mx chip with 16+ CPU Cores and a couple of dozen GPU cores that can address more than 16 GB of RAM. Which will happen eventually.

Back to the M1 Macs. They are pretty impressive and I’m running mimoLive on an M1 Mac Mini every day. There are a couple of kinks to iron out which is why we do not recommend it yet, and we can’t really have a final verdict until NDI becomes available for Apple Silicon. But even running in Rosetta 2, mimoLive performs quite well. @JoPhi created a “mimoLive Benchmark” document where the 8 core M1 has a slight lead over the 6 Core Intel i7 Mac mini with external GPU already even without specific optimizations.

As for the road map: There are some dependencies in mimoLive that need to be updated to Apple Silicon before we can ship a universal version. We’ll make an announcement when we’re ready.

Let’s share the Test, the more we know about the performance of several devices, the more we’re able to predict results.

Boinx could include it as a Template with a Placer, that describes how it works.

Eventually? I think it’s pretty much a given that those are next. Apple most certainly won’t release those same chips in any of the next releases. Whether that will “only” be 16" MBPs or even iMacs… we’ll see. But I don’t see Apple updating the iMac Pro without an M-chip. Like, ever again. Makes little to no sense.

Understatement of the year!

Let me guess. Good old (deprecated) Quartz, eh? :smirk:
Don’t envy of that task. Sounds like a near complete rewrite.

I think Rob needs to layoff the coffee :slight_smile: