Image darker in Mimolive and stream output

I have an Atem TV studio mixer delivering an SDI signal in 1080p25 to a BM Ultra Studio 3D, which ich the video source for my stream in Mimolive. (Blackmagic Device Source) For some reason the image in Mimolive is much darker, and the stream also has more contrast, less details. Also the local ProRes422 recording is messed up.

All camera signals are 10bit SDI and look perfect on BM Multiview, Preview, PGM and AUX out.

The image in Mimolive looks like it’s 8 bit and has the wrong gamma. I there anything I can do about this? I already tried color correcting things in Mimolive, but it gets worse.

I’m on an iMacPro (latest Catalina, latest Blackmagic Video drivers).

Darker? thats a first, all ive seen in the past is a brighter more noisy image than what is seen the My Atem Displays. What version Mimolive are you using?

Well, the black level is lower and the image has more contrast. We do a show in a analog studio with very dimmed lights and open aperture… things get very grainy and the encoding has problems with dark images…

I am running the latest version 5.8

Any update on this? For my client it’s almost a show-stopper to run his streams with mimoLive, as they are very picky regarding the image quality.

Hi @Kurteee I’m sorry about the troubles. The issue is probably that mimoLive indeed only uses 8 bits. We hope we can support 10 bit when we replace Quartz Composer later this year.

I would expect the color correction filter to be able to help a bit, though. Can you post a screenshot showing how it gets worse?

1 Like

Hello Oliver! I tried using the color correction filter, but slight adjustments are impossible. I am looking forward to the 10-bit version! Jepeee! Maybe a simple gamma-correction filter would help. But it would need a slider for very fine adjustments.

I have a clip that shows the difference, you can download it here.

1 Like

Yes sir this is correct.

I call this the free white teeth effect, 'till the new engine for image processing is finished. I planned this in since I use mimoLive, so maybe I have to increase lights later this year! :hugs:

Hey! Any news on this? We are still struggeling with black levels in Mimo Live. We’re on an M1 system and the most updated Version of Mimolive. The source device is a webpresenter 4K now (used to be blackmagic Ultra Studio before) but the problem is the same.

The source color correction filter reacts quite crazy. It’s fairly unusable.

I was just doing a screen share of Keynote through mimoCall, all on the same M1 Mac Mini as mimoLive was running today and I was getting very faded images.

I tried a bunch of filters but none of them were very successful. Colour correction filter for RGB channels just makes all the whites go red, green or blue. Gamma makes it go grey or blows it out. I found something in the end, I think it was putting saturation onto 1.5 instead of 1.0.

If I knew what you need in terms of what range of adjustment in more detail I could make a QC fx filter for you Kurtee.

Hi people, we just release mimoLive 6.1.1b1 which has major improvements to color. Please check it out and report back. There are still some areas we haven’t looked at and we will do that asap.

1 Like

Hi Oliver and team,

You made us happy with this great update regarding color corrections.
With the Blacmagic mini recorder as the capture device, the same colors for recording source only, are now the same as the recording program output. Program output recording always gave more brightness.

But that has now been fixed,
pleased with the results.

Perfect!!

Thank you all!