Fotomagico 6 subscription based?

Hello,
I’ve just seen in the beta of Fotomagico a button “Subscribe”. Do you plan to drop licences and switch to a subscription model like some of your other softwares ?

Thank you

It looks like this.
The following pages (via Fastspring with price and credit card) are already linked.
But no evidence of upgrades.
This year Fotomagico faces competition in Europe on the Mac with professional products “Wings” or “m.Objects”.

I don’t know about Wings, but I’ve downloaded m.Objects, and it doesn’t appear to me as a competitor for Fotomagico. It’s not translated, and the version I’ve downloaded runs on Mac with Wine. It’s not a real Mac version.

You are absolutely right, m-objects is not pure MAC software, it runs on Mac. According to the announcement, Wings X as the successor to the Windows AV Show software Wings (Platinum) 7 from Stumpfl will be made available this autumn as a completely new Mac application (new development since autumn 2019 based on the Wings 7 functionality).

I just wanted to express that the unique selling point of fotomagico on the Mac is faltering. And I also hope that this will have a positive impact on the pricing (no subscriptions) for us as customers.

1 Like

I’m curious – I tried to do some snooping around regarding both “m.objects” and “Wings.” m.objects is NOT a Mac product, but you say it runs on Mac. I’m assuming that you mean it will run under the Windows OS on a Mac using something like Parallels or Boot Camp? I looked at some of the video tutorials and it sure has a lot to offer (what I could make out, anyway, since I don’t understand German). And although I tried, I couldn’t come up with a price for it – so what is the pricing, and is it subscription-based? I tried looking for “Wings” as well, but gave up after a while (too many Google hits on things about wings but nothing about software – I’ll have to dig some more).

I don’t really care for any app that comes as a “subscription” – my wife uses Photoshop and she’s okay with the monthly fee, so I can’t complain for her. Meanwhile, I “used” to use Toast Titanium, and did so for years – even though it’s NOT a subscription-based piece of software, they are CONSTANTLY putting out updates, almost every two to four months or so, bumping the version numbers up a notch, and charging the same high price over and over and over again. Even if you had a license, there was no way to buy it at a discounted price (but they did offer “sale” prices all the time – you just had to wait for the price to come down). It came to a point where there really wasn’t anything NEW being added to the software that I just HAD to have, so I stopped upgrading (and found it was still working fine, regardless). A bit off-topic there, so sorry about that.

I haven’t heard of FM going subscription-based, and so far nothing points to that. Even the “subscription” link on the beta splash page doesn’t really hint at that. Basically, if you buy a “subscription” what you’re really getting is a “license” which opens the app up to use ALL of its functions. I might be wrong, though.

1 Like

I had the same experience with Toast Titanium.

FM for the iPad has always only been available as a subscription version.

I don’t really want to describe any products that compete with FM in this forum. But m.objects uses an intermediate layer (I personally don’t like it). Wings X comes from Stumpfl (hdav.org). Both products deliver more in their expansion stages, but are also more complicated to use.

I could definitely see how “complicated” m.objects could be just looking at the tutorials. But it looked like it had a lot to offer as well. That’s why I was wondering just how much they charge for it. Pro Show Gold for Windows finally disappeared, then reappeared for the Mac as Photopia. Again, a monthly pay-as-you-go subscription fee. But it also has some really nice features as well.

I’ve been using Fotomagico for a number of years and I AM happy with it. There are a number of things I’d like to see it do that it doesn’t – but I keep using it because it works (for me, anyway). And the guys at Boinx (well, Peter!) is always ready to tackle anything that comes up. Some nice features have been added to the new FM 6.x beta versions – and of course, while it’s still in beta, there are still a number of issues that need to be addressed.

Since FM4, FM5 and now with FM6beta, I have always been enthusiastic about the ease of use.
The prices for purchase and update were ok.
The iOS version already has the subscription model, but has not been further developed. But subscription in particular should advance the development.
The currently planned prices are too high.
At alpenvereinaktiv.com it’s true.
Alternatives to FM are not visible to me.
Only Blackmagic Davinci Resolve brings good results, but unfortunately with a lot of effort.

1 Like

Korrekt, der Abo-Preis ist unakzeptabel, besonders wenn FotoMagico 6 nicht regelmäßig genutzt wird.
Schade, denn die Gestaltungsmöglichkeiten von FotoMagico 6 sind vorbildlich.
Vielleicht überlegt sich Boinx noch einmal die Verkaufsstrategie!

Oder, du überdenkst nochmal, dass du nur Monate zahlst, die du nutzt. Ich brauche es zweimal pro Jahr (in zwei verschiedenen Monaten: ≈ 18 USD pro Jahr?) Angucken kann ich auch ohne Abo.

@DieterL

Es freut mich, dass Sie die Gestaltungsmöglichkeiten von FotoMagico 6 so positiv bewerten.

Gerade wenn FotoMagico nicht regelmäßig genutzt wird, ist die Möglichkeit, es nur für einen Monat zu einem sehr geringen Preis zu nutzen, doch sicher sinnvoll?

I am a late comer to this topic mostly because I only use Fotomagico when I have vacation photos. Due to Covid my travel plans were curtailed for more than two years. In some ways I’m sad to see this going to a subscription service. I do subscribe to the Adobe Suite of software which I did for my former business. I feel from what I’ve read in the posts above, many feel the price is a bit high mostly, like me, many don’t use this every day or even every month. Photoshop and Illustrator I used daily for my business. Fotomagico I used for my own personal pleasure to share my photos of our trips. One of the support people suggested a hop on and off method with the subscription. While this may work, for me I might find the time to work on a project then put it aside for a month, two months or more. I work on the project when I have time and many times I’m editing the photos I include as I go. So it is a start and stop project. For me the hop on and off would not be effective. And I’m sure this may be true for many others as well.

My hope is to be able to use my old version 5 app with all its glitches (so far I’ve worked around the occasional shut downs or minor glitches when placing photos) and determine down the road if my random usage justifies the subscription costs.

I am also an occasional user and really like FotoMagico and have used it on and off since version 4. But what a disappointment that Boinx have chosen a subscription model. It may be great for developers to keep monetising the software but it really is a big letdown for occasional users… and yes, the hop on and off approach is not good enough. I want to be able to play around with it on an ad-hoc basis without the thought I’m paying for the privilege within a time frame window. It’s bad enough paying an Adobe subscription (which I truly loathe) but will not countenance an ongoing subscription no matter how softly it’s presented to my pocket. Subscription models are bad news and generally, unless you can recoup your costs, make no sense at all for the casual user. Since purchasing FM4 I’ve made three travel presentations for personal consumption… that’s all… they’ve made their money out of me so why would I pay more?
I’ll use FM5 until it no longer works… I can live without those ‘must have’ additional features so in this scenario Boinx has lost out all ways.

In 2017 I purchased a license for FM5. Due to CoVid & travel restrictions, I have not used the software for a few years. So today when I looked to upgrade to FM6, I was completely blindsided by the “subscription-only” option.

If the people at Boinx are listening, if you are indeed committed to a subscription-only plan, consider applying it to new subscribers only. For those of us who has previously paid for a license, please honor that license & allow us to use that license for upgrading to FM6. Thank you.