Feedback on MimoLive

VIMEO EXPLAINER VIDEO at https://vimeo.com/192308784/81d8de6235

Was ist los? Hi friends, just wanted to share some thoughts after my first real day of pushing MimoLive. All in all I am impressed with it think you have done a great job to date. I do have a bunch of thoughts as to how some new features (or better understanding) would help me.

I am a live stream/ broadcast producer (www.jeffinhighdef.com) and want to use ML for Facebook Live, etc. I am hoping to show friends who currently use Wirecast that this is a very good option.

Again, I am new to really using and evaluating mimoLive. No offense meant. Here are my thoughts and hopeful additions:

SMOOTH DISSOLVE TRANSITION INSIDE LAYER VARIANTS - Currently when you select a layer variant with a dissolve applied, it resets back to the previous source instead of smoothly blending right into the next video source. Kind of like it starts over first - then works. This is not useable if you wish to jump between multiple layer variants to playback video.

PLAYLIST SETTING IN LAYER VARIANTS - It would be handy to have a master switch to enable playback of all media in a layer, blending nicely from one to the next automatically. I know there is some playlist source, but I sense people want to move elements around without having to rebuild a playlist each time.

LAYER VARIANT DRAGGING INTO ANOTHER LAYER - After building my project I realized some layer variants should be moved. Except they can’t be dragged outside of their own layer.

COLOR LABEL (RIGHT CLICK) TO COLOR LAYER BOXES - just like in other apps, this allows a much easier visual organization of all the layers. It would tint the color gray to something else.

NODE BASED GROUPING OF LAYERS - If I understand the app right, if I want to fade from studio into a recorded video that needs a title, I can’t click both the video AND the title at once. It would be great to link layers, or variants, to act as one when triggered.

AUDIO TRANSITION DURATION SEPARATE FROM VIDEO TRANSITION DURATION - I think I noticed that when a video playback source is stopped, teh audio matched the video duration. The visual is fine at 1 second, but the audio sounds harshly cut that fast. Would be nice to have a control for longer transition back.

AUDIO AUDITION MONITORING (SECOND SOUND CARD) - I currently have a main sound IO device and also a secondary sound IO device for live output to live streams. This way I can mix minus audio and better control live sound. But it looks like I have to make a choice in ML for only one sound device. This means for me, choosing between the studio monitors at my desk or the audio coming out of Facebook Live. Would be wonderful to be able to use both at once.

AUDIO AND VIDEO ‘VIRTUAL PLAYBACK MACHINE’ in layout under the program window. A major benefit to me would be a nice set of colored squares that contain my media I want o playback at any time. This is especially important in live streaming when things change in a moment. You wnat to run a new song, check. How about play a guest video they just told you about, check. All organized in that open unused area just waiting for great things.

PHOTOSHOP OR IMAGE LOWERS - Can I load a prebuilt .png design in your lower third layer, and then type my text for it inside ML? Currently I am making everything in Adobe.

WHY NOT AN ALTERNATE SWITCHER STYLE HORIZONTAL LAYOUT WITH TIME TESTED T-BAR? - For us broadcast vets of 30 years this layout works but is not intuitive, because layers mean everything in terms of what is visible. Would be a major upgrade to be able to select preview, program and overlay bus sources and then choose transitions and cuts. Being this original limits the respect some media pro’s may otherwise give.

Last of all, **WHY A WORKAROUND FOR MULTI SITE STREAMING???** - Hopefully you are working on this now, but how cool would it be to be able to click a '+' and get a new set of streaming key fields for the next big live platform. FBL, PERI and YT just may not be enough at once!

Thanks again. I hope to be able to fully use this app when I start doing more shows soon. If you have questions please let me know.

Again, nice work!

Just noticed my web site is wrong - should be www.jeffinhighdef.com.

@JeffInHighDef Thank you for taking the time to really dig into mimoLive and get back to us with all the feedback! There are some very valuable questions and thoughts in there.

I also love the video demo you made!

SMOOTH DISSOLVE TRANSITION INSIDE LAYER VARIANTS - Currently when you select a layer variant with a dissolve applied, it resets back to the previous source instead of smoothly blending right into the next video source. Kind of like it starts over first - then works. This is not useable if you wish to jump between multiple layer variants to playback video.

This looks like a bug. @“Achim (Boinx)” will look into this and hopefully fix it.

PLAYLIST SETTING IN LAYER VARIANTS - It would be handy to have a master switch to enable playback of all media in a layer, blending nicely from one to the next automatically. I know there is some playlist source, but I sense people want to move elements around without having to rebuild a playlist each time.

We’ve given this some thought and are convinced the playlist source is the better solution as you can use the content in any other layer, giving you many more options for layouts. It is quite easy to re-order items in the playlists, no need to rebuild the playlist.

LAYER VARIANT DRAGGING INTO ANOTHER LAYER - After building my project I realized some layer variants should be moved. Except they can’t be dragged outside of their own layer.

This is an excellent feature request. Duly noted.

COLOR LABEL (RIGHT CLICK) TO COLOR LAYER BOXES - just like in other apps, this allows a much easier visual organization of all the layers. It would tint the color gray to something else.

That is already on the feature wish-list.

NODE BASED GROUPING OF LAYERS - If I understand the app right, if I want to fade from studio into a recorded video that needs a title, I can’t click both the video AND the title at once. It would be great to link layers, or variants, to act as one when triggered.

Also on the feature wish-list. There are some architectural challenges which make this a bigger project than it appears.

AUDIO TRANSITION DURATION SEPARATE FROM VIDEO TRANSITION DURATION - I think I noticed that when a video playback source is stopped, teh audio matched the video duration. The visual is fine at 1 second, but the audio sounds harshly cut that fast. Would be nice to have a control for longer transition back.

Another great suggestion. Thank you.

AUDIO AUDITION MONITORING (SECOND SOUND CARD) - I currently have a main sound IO device and also a secondary sound IO device for live output to live streams. This way I can mix minus audio and better control live sound. But it looks like I have to make a choice in ML for only one sound device. This means for me, choosing between the studio monitors at my desk or the audio coming out of Facebook Live. Would be wonderful to be able to use both at once.

This is also on our todo list.

AUDIO AND VIDEO ‘VIRTUAL PLAYBACK MACHINE’ in layout under the program window. A major benefit to me would be a nice set of colored squares that contain my media I want o playback at any time. This is especially important in live streaming when things change in a moment. You wnat to run a new song, check. How about play a guest video they just told you about, check. All organized in that open unused area just waiting for great things.

Have you checked out the Remote Control Surfaces? I think they will do what you want plus a lot more.

PHOTOSHOP OR IMAGE LOWERS - Can I load a prebuilt .png design in your lower third layer, and then type my text for it inside ML? Currently I am making everything in Adobe.

Yes, actually you can load any Png or JPEG as the background for the Lower Third layer.

WHY NOT AN ALTERNATE SWITCHER STYLE HORIZONTAL LAYOUT WITH TIME TESTED T-BAR? - For us broadcast vets of 30 years this layout works but is not intuitive, because layers mean everything in terms of what is visible. Would be a major upgrade to be able to select preview, program and overlay bus sources and then choose transitions and cuts. Being this original limits the respect some media pro’s may otherwise give.

We decided against the traditional t-bar because we want our software to enable more people to create live video broadcasts beyond traditional broadcast engineers. We purposely broke with some broadcasting traditions to make it more accessible and much easier to use.

Check out the switcher layout in the remote control surface!

Last of all, WHY A WORKAROUND FOR MULTI SITE STREAMING??? - Hopefully you are working on this now, but how cool would it be to be able to click a ‘+’ and get a new set of streaming key fields for the next big live platform. FBL, PERI and YT just may not be enough at once!

This is a tough one. Basically, we are currently limited by the performance of the H.264 encoder. Encoding several streams at the same time just takes too much CPU power. Eventually, we will add multi-endpoint streaming when Macs become available that have more CPU power.

Thanks Oliver. Maybe one day I will be a brand ambassador :)

Any progress on this feature? I’m hoping to dissolve (not cut to black then fade up) on many (30) onscreen supers set up as layer variants triggered manually.

Depends on, which Layer you use. PIP and PIP Window does make it possible. (100%/do-not-shrink-option).