CPU vs GPU boosters for macbook

Built-in video card Mac notebooks (pro and air) can be accelerated with external amplifeyers with powerful video cards Nvidea, AMD, etc. This is the only solution to improve rendering performance. for example

These devices usually carry out the acceleration of final cut and other post production systems

I ran a test on such an amplifier with an external GeForce 1060 card, but noticed that the whole realtime rendering is still through the main CPU

Particularly noticeable is how the processor is overloaded for the function “face tracking” and the “follow” layer

Do you have plans to transfer the main load to the GPU?

The face tracking feature is an old implementation by Apple and was developed for PhotoBooth. You only can use it properly if your system is fast enough.

If you happen to have the chance again to test mimoLive on an external GPU you can do so by switching on the Debug Mode of the app (hold down the Alt key while opening the Preference window). After a restart of mimoLive you will get a Debug menu which lets you select the graphics card where the rendering is happening on. Feedback is highly appreciated!

what minimal requirements for not lagging face tracking?
now i have 8 ram, i7, 2.0, intel HD 4000

@did Which machine, which OS? Please, can you post the full specs?

Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 МБ
MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012)
2 GHz Intel Core i7
8 ГБ 1600 MHz DDR3
Macos Sierra 10.12.6 (last one)

this is custom maximum model of 2012

i used iOs layer + web usb source + facetime camera source + window capture from skype and it lagging

https://yadi.sk/i/aswuyJZV3MCEoL

Unfortunately a MacBook Air isn’t capable of doing all this at once. I recommend to get a MacBook Pro.

(BTW: you can use mimoCall to replace the Skype window capture. See https://docs.mimo.live/v2.0/docs/mimocall for details)

My guests call from mobile smartphones, and mimocall is not decision

Actually mimoCall runs in a chrome browser on a mobile phone as well. For iOS devices we are going to release a certain app the next days! Its really easy to use: You send your guests a web link by email, SMS or what ever, they click on it on their devices and they are in your show (no need to sign up for anything for your guests!). Check it out!

no sound for mimolive reporter’ user.
i heared in mimolive mac voice of this user, user is not hear my voice

@did Thanks for the report. Are you using iOS 11?

yep, but we tested and on ios11 (chrome and app) and on chrome on macbook pro, no success

@did We realise that we are a little late, but mimoLive Reporter seems to have some issues with iOS 11 which we hope to resolve in time. Thanks for the feedback.

@did The mimoLive Reporter client will hear the “Program output” of mimoLive on the Mac. Did you have your voice on the Mac incorporated into the program out e.g. with a Audio Only layer? Can you see your voice peeking in the “Program Out” audio meter at the bottom right of Program view?

i saw voice peeking in the program out, but no any sound in reporter

Unfortunately a MacBook Air isn’t capable of doing all this at once. I recommend to get a MacBook Pro.

i’ve just bought top one 2017 macbook pro 13, i7, 3,5Gz, 16Gb special for mimolive streams

1. Sometimes facebook stream was not ending (in fb “live broken” instead of “live ended”

2. Sometimes inside streams was drop FPS to 15 for some seconds, without starting new layers. Bitrate 3000, Lan Ethernet 100Gb. System Activity monitor not overheaded, about 80-90% + Mimolive Activity monitor green and yellow, without red processes

@did 1) It seems that FaceBook isn’t liking how mimoLive is talking to it. We will look into this.

1. Did you monitor the outgoing stream with the stream status inspector window or did you monitor the feed on the FaceBook page directly? If you experienced the fps drop in the streaming status window it could mean that either the encoder wasn’t fast enough or mimoLive wasn’t able to push out the streaming data to FaceBook (the way to FaceBook may be long and internet bandwidth is not only dependent on your local LAN network). On the other hand: if mimoLive didn’t drop frames on the output side then its more likely that the receiving stream from FaceBook back to you had a problem and lowered the fps to save bandwidth. Usually low bandwidth will result in reducing the image quality by a higher compression rate rather than reducing the fps, hmmmm. Where did you see the drop to 15 fps exactly?
  1. i tried 5000 and 3000 and 2500 and1500 bitrate for FB
    in each case, sometimes, 10 sec in each minute - fps in streaming status windows drop to 15 or 8.

use: Split Screen layers 3 in a row, with 2 Windows Capture from skype + WEbcam + ios Device Demo

p/s/ when 1500 bitrate - same drops as via 5000 bitrate

pps

1. TOP 2017 macbook pro 13, i7, 3,5 Gzh, 16Gb, Iris, High Sierra
  2. TOP 2016 macbook pro 15, i7, 2,6 Ghz, 16 GB RAM, Radeon Pro 450, Sierra
    = same drops

enter link description here

New report.
FB stream - bitrate 3000 - 100Gb LAN - TOP 2017 macbook pro 13, i7, 3,5 Gzh, 16Gb, Iris, High Sierra - Mimolive Version 3.0 (23313) - periodicaly drop FPS to ~14

1. fps drop = 90% CPU + not overheated mimo monitor + iphone layer + 2 skype windows capture layers + facetime cam
    Screenshot 1

2. it’s ok (same layers and sources)
    Screenshot 2

3. Laggy placers with 720p.mp4’ or 720p.mov’ videos = 90% CPU + not overheated mimo monitor
    During face tracking for windows capture (for skype) - very laggy play of any simple placer with video or playlist of video. Without FT - normal

1. add: split layer is overheated always, but shortly when start any video placer (just video or video playlist)
    video placer overlaps split layer, but split layer still increases the load

split layer = 2 small windows capture skype sources + facetime cam

screenshot 3

1. bug. mimolive didnt finished FB stream, just do broken