BUG: Layer variants transitions ignore the stack order

And if you want this, use two of your layer. And follow the Z-pattern for switching to have a “below”.

exactly. but this is what we, as users, know as a problem.
I’m just saying that we need another way around.
I really appreciate that you are helping on this, but nothing will convince me that this is the correct way of having variants.
it’s about the user experience. if the user need a certain behaviour, everything should be done in order to accomplish that :slight_smile:
This is why I hope that the developers will have to at least try to think “laterally” and come up with a solution.

Don’t worry about the language, I’m not an english speaking native as well :slight_smile:

that can help in a few scenarios, but not an overall solution, I’m afraid…
(and I just posted another big bug about the slideshow! :slight_smile: )

is there an official word on this?

and even if it’s as it should be… then why not simply having an option in the layer? or a “twin brother” layer? there are tons of scenarios in which it would make much more sense to have the behaviour I’m suggesting…

On the manual there is no mention of the “in transition, layer-loop, out-transition” behaviour that you mention.
Most importantly, there is no mention of the fact that it should be limited in that way.
The only mention of the transition is this part:

• The little “Live” button (below the big “Live” button) can be used to switch a certain variant live. If another variant is currently live this variant will be switched off (some layer has a transition between variants, most don’t)

and again, I don’t see why it shouldn’t work.

If you’re a developer from Boinx, then I can understand your position and I would ask for a bit of open-mindedness.
If you’re a mimolive user, then I don’t know why you think as a developer, and not as a user/designer :slight_smile:

see? it was easy, now you got it :slight_smile:

I posted many feature requests, and many bugs. To me, this one was a bit of both, to be honest.
And it’s not important how we call it, I just hope to find a solution.
thank you for helping :yellow_heart:

why do you say “unread”?
I have mimo open right now trying the PIP method you suggested… but it still don’t solve what I think it should solve.
I agree as you said that a new feature could be to have a new layer. let’s see what @Achim_Boinx thinks about it

I posted a z-pattern-demo, unfortunately to the wrong post: BUG: slideshow layer – many problems - #2 by JoPhi,

I can understand that you want to use layers and variants in different ways as we designed them. From a technical point of view there are some layers that are aware of changing the layer variant and do a transition (e.g. the PIP Window layer will move the window around to the new position). Many layers aren’t aware of a change so they are don’t react on it. For some layer it doesn’t make sense to have transitions (e.g. because the content is atomically e.g. the Sports Game Data layer) for others it totally make sense. I have to admit that for the Lower Third layer it would make sense to actually first do the out-transition of the previous variant and then come on with the new lower third graphics of the new variant made just live. Unfortunately this behaviour can’t be generalised because each layer may have its own context what it means to switch between variants. So please make a feature request on certain layers that needs a transition between variants.

Secondly: I don’t think that the order of the variant list is a good indicator to change behaviour because this is very unintuitive.

Thirdly: Its not possible to do fade transitions between different video sources for the same video input when switching variants. This will always be a cut thought because the newly selected variant defines which video source will be active. Currently there can’t be two video source active for one video input of a layer. (Thats why there is a Video Switcher layer that can do the transitions)

I hope this gives you a bit insight on how mimoLive treats layers and variants and why it behaves differently for different layers.

1 Like

Based on your reply, I would formally like to make a feature request for the lower third layers. I desperately need to be able to fade in/out a variant. So when Variant #1 is live and I click Variant #2, I’d expect Variant #1 to perform its OUT transition (fade out) and then perform the Variant #2 IN transition (fade in.).

s.

To follow the logic, this is just possible when you first switch your variant off, wait, and then switch your next variant on. This already exists.

When it should do a dissolve between lower thirds, you have to use two lower thirds layers and to switch em in a z-pattern. See demo here:

Instead of Transition Placer + Placer use two lower thirds layers and variants in both of it.

No…you’re missing the point. If I have all my variants listed on my MIMORemote, I should be able to push any variant button and it should dissolve out the previous variant and dissolve in the new one.

You’re automation solution works fine for 5 variants. However, most of my shows have up to 75 variants. That’s a lot of additional automation.

It’s a pattern:

=> 1 appearance
while(on, sleep, off, sleep)
while(off, sleep, on, sleep)
=> last appearance

My “automation” was just to demonstrate the switching itself, not to show how you should program your script.

Write a script if you can, to automate it by yourself. Even to handle your Web Control Buttons. Maybe the cycleThroughVariats-Endpoint could bring you the clue.

Btw, if you just need it within WebControl, just switch the former variant off, when switching the next “on”.

At the buttons you’re able to configure multiple actions. But you still need two layers to do a dissolve.

Layer A (odd)

• Variant 1
  • Variant 3
  • Variant 5

Layer B (even)

• Variant 2
  • Variant 4
  • Variant 6

Any into any:
Use automation to load the content into a dynamic Variant of A, also in B. :slight_smile:

Another Option:
Use the layer thirds as a preset and modify it with Quartz Composer to your wishes. But as told: Variants are not Layers.

Unfortunately you’re still not following the real-world logic. I’ve been directing broadcast television since 1974 and my request is NOT unusual. But having to jump thru hoops to make the program do what its supposed to is unrealistic.

2 Likes

Yes, so use different layers to have a dissolve between lower third layers. Variants are not layers, so a dissolve between of 'em will never happen. For ease, I’d recommend to use two Layers. Push the content with a script into it.

By the way: My former post discribes several ways to fulfill your wish. :slight_smile:

Finally, you could build your dynamic lower thirds by using other layers, like Static Text (without background or with background) and certain Pip window-Layers.

Important:
Variants of the same layer are not able to run the same time. Maybe you missed that point about the logic.

Maybe you’re planning your document the wrong way. :heart:

@lorcott Here a demo. Without scripting, but it works. With scripting it would be dynamic and much easier, however:

Try it yourself:

You could try to do something with an ATEM-ME, but with mimoLive is something like this much easier.

Use layers, not variants:

This is like a button works: (Switch one LIVE and all others OFF)

Make for each layer a button:

Add as many buttons/layers you need to switch to whatever should be showen. Without scripting it’s lots to configure, but possible.

Just a hint:
If you really have more than 70 variants of a layer (or layers of the same “function”), it would be better for the performance of the whole system to work with scripts and two layers, which will be filled with content and switched on demand/keypress/buttonpress by/through a script. Plus: a 100%-the-same-time-transition is only possible if you use scripts.

If you also need something like this at the main program window, create layerSets instead of WebControl Buttons.

In lot’s of cases, mimoLive is an out-of-the-box-solution. In others it’s simply restricted by imagination and/or knowledge about the possibilities.

And finally, this isn’t a bug. Please close the thread, @stefan_boinx . Thanks a lot. :hugs::heart:

Official statement: