Are layer blend modes gone with FM6?

I miss layer blend modes. With FM5, they did exist.
Were they dropped with FM6? (Why? Any replacement for this?)

Yes, “blend modes” are no longer there. Send a message to Boinx and see if they’ll consider adding it back in. I’m guessing it was probably NOT a popular selling point. There is the new Chroma Key effect, but it is not quite the same, and in most instances more difficult to use.

I see. Thank you for pointing to the Chroma Key effect. I’m going to try it tomorrow if it is suitable for me.

(I’ve got the impression you really know everything with FotoMagico! :grinning: :+1:)

Don’t get the wrong impression (LOL)!!!

Yes, you’re right, using Chroma Key effects is really difficult to handle if the objects to blend were not made for that. I had a background still image overlayed by a short video showing wandering stars. No green or blue areas to be removed …
It’s a pity Boinx people removed layer blend modes with FM6. This way they didn’t guarantee upward compatibility of FM5 shows. Kind of disapointing.

(By the way, I think I got the right impression of stantastic’s knowledge … :+1:)

I sent my wish to the Boinx support team. Also see here.

@PSP-user Thanks for taking the time to let us know of your concerns.

I’m very curious as to what effect you are creating using the Blend mode. Can you post an example?

Blend modes are back in FM 6.0.5. available today.

Although I haven’t seen the need to use Blend Mode in any of my slideshows, I did load FM 6.0.5 this afternoon and discovered that the Blend Mode for EVERY single slide in a show I’m working on now has the Blend Mode check mark applied to it (by default). And when I created a NEW show, every image I dragged in also had the Blend Mode option checked.

It’s okay, since they all have the “Normal” option chosen for them, so nothing changed visually – BUT I think there should be an internal check to see if the that mode was used previously, otherwise importing an existing show where the Blend Mode is not being used or creating a new show should default to being UNCHECKED.

Thank you, Oliver, great news!

Hi @stantastic Thank you for reporting. It is just a UI glitch, though, as long as it is set to “Normal”.

True, but to be consistent with the UI as it exists, ALL Effect options should be unchecked when starting the creation of a new project, and then turned on as needed. I’m sure it’s an easy fix for Peter :wink:

Yep. Peter is working on it, but it’s not very high priority. In my opinion the Blend Mode should simply be a popup set to “Normal” by default without a checkbox.