Will my Digital Still Camera work with iStopMotion?

<div class="EmbeddedContent"><strong>Will my Digital Still Camera work with iStopMotion?</strong>
           <p>If your camera supports the Picture Transfer Protocol, iStopMotion can import pictures from the camera. Some cameras also support remote capture, where the computer tells the camera to shoot a picture and that picture is immediately transfered to the computer. In this case, iStopMotion treats the imported picture just like it would treat a live stream from a video cam. Get a demo license and use the Still Camera Assitant to find out if your camera works with iStopMotion. You can find a list of tested cameras here. Still cameras currently don't support live preview, which means you have to take a picture with it, before you can see the actual sceen in iStopMotion.   Check out the original article for more information!</p>
           <p><a href="http://boinx.com/knowledge/istopmotion/input-devices/WS00820">Read the full story here</a></p>
           <div class="ClearFix"></div>
        </div>

Why is the Live Preview still not a feature? I just installed a trial of Dragonframe and it works flawlessly with my Canon T2i. If a price point is an issue, go back to a Pro Version of your software with that support. I’ve read many times in the forum that is just isn’t possible, but I have a confirmation using another piece of software that it works wonderfully. This is a much needed feature. Please listen to your users. If it is a Camera Manufacturer problem, get that worked out. If it is an issue with Sandbox, then work that out. It seems like a pretty simple answer. :frowning:

I have iStopMotion 2.8.4 Home running on Mac OS 10.6.8, and after looking at the list of compatible cameras, I got a Canon EOS 1100D DSLR.

Initially, I could not get the camera to work with iStopMotion, even although the EOS utility software could take pictures through the USB connection. The test worked, but the preview did not.

I then found that there appeared to be a conflict with iPhoto 8.1.2, which had a preference set to open a digital camera when connected, even although iPhoto did not open and was not running. When I set iPhoto’s preferences to General > Connecting camera opens > No application, rebooted my MacBook Pro, connected the camera via USB and started iStopMotion again, the camera worked at last, taking previews and adding photos correctly. Success!

I’m posting this just in case anyone else has a similar problem, it’s worth checking to see that other software is not trying to open when you connect your camera.

@SleepingDog: Thanks for sharing!

My Canon G11 doesn’t work for Istopmotion either, I found it on the list of not work still cameras. I tried with a flip video camera, didn’t work either - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flip_Video
I tried with a Nikon p7000 and I finally got a connection to my mac v. 10.6.8, but there’s no preview option.
The build in sight works, but I would like to have separate device connected.
Question: Can I use a hdv cam corder and set it to dv record settings (hope you know what I mean) and then avoid
installing final cut or Logic to have it working.
Thanks

I tried to plug in my Canon Powershot SD600, it isn’t showing up on the computer or iStopMotion. Not sure what to do…

I’m looking to get iStopMotion but I have a Canon EOS 1000D. Will my DSLR be compatible?

I want to test my camera as it is not on the “good” list. I tried the Still Camera Assistant…better check your spelling on that one…and it goes to a blank page. What do I do with that. I want to test before I buy.

Hi,

I have a (old) Canon 300D and a Sony A7s. Will either of these work?

Thanks,