Will iStopMotion work with Blackmagic Design's DeckLink Mini Recorder PCI card?

Want to use my Canon EOSM’s LiveView with iStopMotion, but, as is well documented, LiveView through USB doesn’t work with the M. So,just wondering if I can do live-capture with my M using a Blackmagic Design DeckLink Mini Recorder PCI card. Anyone tried this? Have you been successful?

@“Doug Waugh” Thanks for your interest in iStopMotion. It will work with devices that provide a driver to the OS so that apps can access them through standard APIs.

I can’t check right now, but last time I tried, the BMD Mini Recorder was working when connected via Thunderbolt. Alternatively, USB 3 capture devices like the Elgato Cam Link should also work.

I am trying to get iStopMotion 3 to recognize my Blackmagic DeckLink Mini Recorder 4K, but it won’t even show in the list. Please help!

Hi @retroedgemedia Thanks for using iStopMotion and for reaching out in the Forum.

iStopMotion 3 uses QuickTime and I don’t know if Blackmagic still supports QuickTime with their newer products. To troubleshoot this, make sure you installed the Blackmagic Desktop Video software, then find the Desktop Video Setup app and see if your device is shown there. If it is and doesn’t show up in iStopMotion, it probably wouldn’t work.

Yes, the card works fine with several other programs but does not show as an option in iStopMotion.
I’ve had the card for quite a while, so it’s not that new but Quicktime has been defunct for years as well. Didn’t realize iStopMotion was EOL when I purchased it.
Would using an older driver be a workaround?

If you can find an older driver that supports QuickTime and the Mini Recorder 4K then this would help of course.

You can also try to see if the new virtual camera driver for the BMD which allows you to use it in Zoom and so on, would work with iStopMotion.