version 4 sucks shit

I just upgraded from version 3 because it looked like they’d improved the audio capabilities. I was barely able to limp along with the buggy version 3 software, but never did find a way to properly sync my slides and audio, so I was looking forward to an improvement in this regard. Basically, the new software is unusable. after completing the seemingly simple task of dragging in some photos and a music track to just get started, the program crashes at that point, before I’ve made a single edit, transition, or anything! So basically, I got raped on the price because they didn’t offer a lower upgrade price, I was forced to update my OS to 10.8, causing me to have to update a number of other apps, and now the shit doesn’t even work?! Fucking unbelievable.

that’s true. I spent a lot of time for nothing. The audio tracks in V4.2.1 are absolutely unusable. It is unpredictable when the crashes occur, there is no regularity. After dozens of crashes I finished my work not completely and frustrated, hopefully there will be a solution soon.

yep- I finally went step by step through the process this morning, and realized that everything works fine when just adding images, but as soon as I add any audio, the program locks up and I have to force quit. It occurred to me that I might need to update the driver to my Tascam USB audio interface after having made the upgrade to mountain lion, which I did, but to no avail. I’ve given up and am limping along with iPhoto now, even though it has pretty non-existent audio options.

I’m not going to defend either side of any argument regarding the usability of the latest versions of FotoMagico 4.2.1 (or any beta versions).

But I will say this – with so many systems out there running so many different configurations containing so many plug-ins, mods, extraneous files, different versions of system updates, drivers, etc. – it’s amazing ANY software works at all, let alone FM. I’ve been using the latest version with multiple tracks, images, masks, etc. I won’t say that I haven’t had a single glitch. I won’t say that it has never locked up. I won’t say that I haven’t accidentally lost some work (I ALWAYS keep a copy of the latest working project just in case). But I have at least TWO large projects, easily over 3GB in size each, one running for almost 30 minutes, another for almost 45 minutes, with over 400 images, including text, multiple images, masks, and over 15 audio components – AND IT WORKS!! That’s all I can say. It works.

I’m running on a MacBook Pro, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB of RAM, system 10.8.3. I feel your frustration when things don’t go right, especially when you pay for an application that you EXPECT should work. I’ve had the same exact problem with OTHER applications.

But looking at things realistically – and as is almost always the case on the internet – very few of the people that purchase software that works write to say that it works! The majority of those that write something are usually those that are having problems.

I know that’s of no help to you, and you want to complete your project NOW. Tell the guys at Boinx your problems and they’ll do whatever they can to fix it. I’ve been using FM for a number of years and I’m impressed with their concern about getting things to work as expected. Try asking or getting the same thing from Microsoft.

I hear ya, Stantastic. I’m spoiled because I’m used to having things run as expected 99% of the time, and when things go wrong, I can fly off the handle and be irrationally angry. The tech support people have been trying their best to help me solve my Fotomagico issues for the last few days, but nothing has helped.

Ultimately, they sent me a link to the old version of the program because it apparently isn’t “sandboxed”. This version is what I was using before, and works, for the most part. But that’s not really a solution, not when I spent $99 for the new version, plus $20 to upgrade my OS, plus other money that will need to be spent upgrading/replacing software that isn’t playing nice with Mountain Lion.

As you say, it’s amazing anything works, considering the number of audio plugins, etc. Back in the good old days of about 12 years ago, I used to be fairly proficient at debugging my own computer if things went wrong, but these days the OS is so beyond me that I have no idea where to begin.

UPDATE: Problem solved! It seems to have been an incompatibility issue with my Tascam US-144MKII audio/midi interface. Disconnecting the Tascam has also solved a problem I was having hearing the sounds from my email program. It didn’t occur to me that the Tascam was the issue, since it works fine with all my other audio applications. Now I feel bad for cursing Fotomagico’s name so strongly. Time to curse Tascam’s instead;)

Dear TJF, I am happy to hear that your problem has been solved. We take reports like yours very seriously and are hard at work to make FotoMagico 4 the best product we can. Unfortunately, currently there are many third party drivers that are not compatible with OS X sandboxing and are causing problems. Thank you for sticking with us during that difficult time.

TJF can you tell me how did you find the incompatibility? I am on despair with my audio crashes. I sent log files to Boinx, still waiting for an answer.
Thanks

I have been extremely disappointed with this product (v 4). I too experienced the multiple crashes until I contacted the very nice people at customer service and they sent me the Beta version. It took crashed but by doing frequent saves, I was able to cobble together the presentation and only lost a few images. The real crippling betrayal of this software occurred when it had to be converted to Quicktime for inclusion into an automated show run by evil PC. The resulting presentation was desaturated and slightly overexposed from my well-crafted exposures. I realize it is a codec problem with using Apple H.264 instead of being able to use the ProRes422 Codec in order to retain image quality, but this product is made for the Mac platform and it is really irritating that no allowance was made by the developers to have your end product look as it did when created on Fotomagico. I had no choice but to screen the undersaturated, overexposed Quicktime to my audience of 3000 people and deal with how awful it looked after spending the time and money on Fotomagico. I regret ever hearing of your program and I have have chastised the person who recommended it. Get your act together and make a functioning product or get out of the marketplace. It doesnt help that you have a polite customer service if the product just.does.not.work.