The movie loses size when exported as hd 1080p25?

I was having some trouble a month ago with final cut, and it would give me an error when trying to send a movie directly from ism. I was told to export the movies as hd and them import them to final cut, but I noticed that the movies lose almost half the size when exported as hd, went from 72 GB to almost 300 MB. What can I do to send a finished movie to FCP without losing image quality?
Thanks!

It definitely loses half its resolution too. Some feedback will really be appreciated.
here is copy of the error code that FCP gives me.

Sun, Nov 20, 2011, 10:17 AM - Errors Found Importing mongoask.xml
: Required element has a value that is out of range. Resulting definition may not behave correcctly.( line 13 )
time code: Required element has a value that is out of range. Resulting time code definition may not behave correcctly.( line 14 )
: Required element has a value that is out of range. Resulting definition may not behave correcctly.( line 4 )
: Invalid format. A new UUID will be created and used instead.

Thanks for your help! I have about 5 minutes of footage I would really really like to be able to get the most out of!

C

Hello Carlota,

the math is: 72GB = 72.000 MB . Divided by 300 MB the differenz is about the exported movie is 240 times (!) smaller than the original iStopMotion project file. Thats because we are storing the images uncompressed. If you use a SLR which gives us a (compressed) jpeg file (e.g. 3 MB in size), we decompress it to its orginal size (e.g. 20 MB) and store this in the movie. Thats why your project file is so big. On the other hand a HD compressed movie file is a high efficient compressing algorithm that looks close to the images and only saves these portion of each frame which has changed since the last frame. If your scene don’t change a lot, only your moving objects are stored for each frame. Thats why an exported HD file could be so much smaller than the original project file. Of cause the image quality will go down too, because the moving parts in the frame also gets compressed.

Ok, I understand that.

Now the problem is I would like to keep the image quality, but i am not able to send the file directly to final cut. I was told before when I messaged boinx with this problem, they said it seemed to be a bug and to export the movie and then edit it, but this, like you said, takes away the image quality.
When I send the movie to fcp, the images look great, but fcp gives me an error message (posted above) and the image doesn’t play correctly.

How can I edit my movie without having to export it?

Thank you.
C