Selecting a Camera

Hi

I figure there must be posts like this constantly but i really am struggling to choose one. I’m working from the old list, http://boinx.com/istopmotion/support/inputdevicesold/ as i’m running on OS10.4.11.

I’ve talked ot friends and family who have SLR’s and through that decided to go with a Nikon or Canon as they have a wide range of lenses and i have familiarity with both those brands. However that still leaves lots of cameras to choose from and i don’t know if i should get one with a lense, what size lense, what features i should look out for or what kind of price i should be expecitng to pay (i’m going to buy on second hand) I’d like to pay up to £300 maybe a bit more. I’d likely be shooting close up for now, working on a small scale, probably 15-50cm away from my model. What lense is best for that? if any at all.

This isn’t an impulse buy. I’ve been thinking about this for ages and have a degree in traditional animation so i know what i’m getting into, i just want to make better quality perosnal projects in my sapare time. I haven’t done much stop-motion in the last few years and really want a perminant set up. I just don’t know anytyhing about SLR’s.

Any input would be great.
Thanks