Remote Control on Android?

I am unable to connect to remote control on my android tablet or phones (Samsung S4 tablet & Samsung Galaxy S20 Note & S9+).

The error I see in chrome:
“This site can’t be reached Check if there is a typo… DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN”

similar error w duckduckgo: “Webpage not available the…could not be loaded because: net::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED”

Is this a known issue? Something in the naming that only ios devices are happy with or did I just get unlucky with three devices that don’t work? Maybe something simple I’m missing?

I’ve tried just about every variation of the http://bryan-mbp-2.local:8989/#/documents/120593189 address I can reasonably think of.

I’m able to connect with a macbook pro, a personal ipad pro, and iphone without any problems, so I can confirm that my mimo live preferences have been updated and I am pointing to the correct address.

I’m planning on using one tablet as a heads up display for my xkeys-128 controller and I was thinking of building out a couple control surfaces as preview multi viewers, lower thirds, etc.

My shop has a healthy stock of android tablets already, I would prefer to use what we’ve got vs buying ipads just for touch screen remote controllers.

I have tried the tablet with 3x wifi networks, multiple browsers, looked into my android and router settings, just having no luck on my preferred android devices. Looks like there was once an android remote control app but it doesn’t seem available, I’m guessing it is no longer supported/up to date after the controller switched to a web based system.

Is there is some kind of list of specific android devices that are known to work without issue? I only just confirmed that the ipad and iphone were working correctly so my next step is to go through my android devices to see what works for me.

Try it without .local inside of the URL. “.local” is used between Macs/iPhones/iPads. Please let me know, if it worked for you.

=> http://bryan-mbp-2:8989/#/documents/120593189

I like your idea of splitting the elements. Please keep in mind, that video in Web Control Surfaces do need lots of performance.

Many Android tablets are configured to use a Proxy server for web content. The proxy server, being on the Internet outside your network, can’t access the Mac on your local network. You need to turn this off in the Android prefs.

Good to know. For me it helps to simply not include .local at the url.

Unfortunately I haven’t had any luck with the above steps. Can’t get my remote control surfaces to work with Android, not sure what I’m doing wrong here.

Currently I am using a microsoft surface Pro (4 I think) for now, which has been working without issue. I’m using this primarily as a visual reference for my Xkeys-128 controller but I’d love to make use of the many android tablets I have available. Any more thoughts on this one?

Does ist work with the IP-Adress:8989 ?

I tested it again. Before Android 8 it works by simply ignore “.local” afterwards it just works with the IP-Adress. With manual settings (DNS-server, as @Oliver_Boinx suggested) it works. As DNS-server I just configured the gateway’s (router’s) IP instead of 8.8.8.8, which is used by default.)

Interesting, well today it’s working for me without the “.local” on my Android tablets! Odd that when I last tested (with a different network and machine, to be fair) the same step wasn’t working for me. Huge help here, thank you!

To be specific: simply typing “bpc-macpro:8989” worked to bring up the remote control surface on Android.

1 Like

@bbecker , thanks for your feedback on this. It seems to be that the other network is using the router’s IP-address to process DNS-tasks. This exploration is very important for all, who want to live stream/broadcast from within a clients LAN network. This could influence the connectivity to the control surfaces. #copied