Really HD?

I have a question/concern about the HD-ness of Boinxtv. I’ve been using it for a few weeks (full, studio edition) now with a 3-camera setup (all Canon HV40’s), and I’m having some issues getting an HD feed from the cameras. I have 3 firewire ports in my computer (Mac Pro 8-core that your site recommends) and all of the cables and connections are fine, but it does not allow me to utilize the HD capability of my cameras.

• For one, for Boinxtv to even recognize the cameras, I have to place them on DV setting as opposed to one of the HDV settings.

• Furthermore, on the Boinx site, it says the maximum resolution for the full studio version allows 1920x1080. But when I go into the software and make a new template, it only allows 1280x720 as the highest possible resolution. The layers and graphical elements that Boinxtv puts out are in HD, but the video is still standard def. Is this some sort of clever marketing loophole that allows you to say “HD” and “1080” but not actually allow HD video switching and input?

Is there something I’m missing or doing wrong that isn’t allowing me to get true HD picture from my cameras within Boinxtv?

Thanks a ton!

You need to put the HV40s into HDV25 mode and you need a HDV Codec installed on your system (it comes with Final Cut Pro or Logic Studio). Otherwise it won’t get a video feed from the cameras. unfortunately we cant ship this codec.
If you select “Custom” and enter 1920x1080 you can create a FullHD Template, but your machine is very likely overstrained by this. But you should give it a try anyway.
If the cameras are connected to the Machine directly, probably only one will work at a time, if you don’t have extra PCI Express FireWire cards built in.
Normally one Firewire bus can only hold one camera (at least from the same vendor). Cameras from the same vendor tend to have the same firewire ID baked into the system and it can’t be changed. Like this the two cameras collide on the same bus and only one can be used. So in most of the cases you will need a dedicated bus for each camera. This is also why e.g. Firewire hubs don’t work. On a MacBookPro you can add a firewire expresscard to get a second bus and on a MacPro this can be done with multiple PCI-Express cards to gain multiple additional busses. Both cards can be found at http://www.boinx.com/boinxtv/equipment

So essentially, I have to record at 25fps? I know that in Boinx, you can change to a variety of frame rates, but do those really effect the output even if my cameras are seeing at 25fps? I’d prefer to record at 24fps or 30fps, but I suppose if I have to use 25 in order to get HD video, I’ll deal with it.

Also, will any HDV codec suffice, or are certain ones more optimal for HV40s & Boinx?

Thanks again!

The HDV25 is something that the camera does, so you can also set BoinxTV to do 24fps, I’d not recommend it though as single frames might seem to stutter once in a while due to the framerate difference. You can re-encode it to 24fps later. The HDV codec is required to talk to the cameras, no substitution possible.