Quartz Crashing

Hello,

So I’m currently testing out MimoLive and would like to make some custom Quartz Composer elements. I’ve got a MacBook Air M2, running mimoLive 6.2.

For some reason, when I try to import a custom layer and then add it, mimoLive always crashes immediately. I even made a simple quartz project that had a single box on it. I noticed that the previous versions below 6 don’t crash. What changed? Thanks!

Dan

Hi @Dan_Pozzo_1493 We‘re excited that you’re building Quartz Compositions for mimoLive.

My guess is that your composition is missing one of the essential things to communicate with mimoLive.

There is a good starting point with a template that has all the required parts at Custom Layers - mimoLive - 5

The example there should work. Let me know if that is giving you troubles.

Oliver,

Thanks for your quick reply! So I’ve done some digging and discovered that the new mimoLive (above 6) crashes when there is an “Image Importer” element in the Quartz project. Can you confirm this and figure out why? Thanks!

Dan

Okay, well I figured out a work-a-round. Instead of using “Image Importer”, use “BX Image Importer”. Then it all works again! I’ve just got to go in all my custom compositions and swap them out.

Glad to hear you found the fix. I think the fact that there is a BX Image Importer probably means that the default one isn’t working. :grinning::+1:

Hi together,

we have been using MimoLive for several years. We have also already created a few small layers ourselves for our work. Now we have made the switch to OS X Montery and lo and behold, the problems begin.
If you open the project in which the layer is used, Mimo crashes immediately at “Creating Window”.
If the layer is not integrated… everything is wonderful.

The problem with the layer we need is that we use Apple’s own “Image Importer”.
Reason: The path of the image file comes from a JSON file. It can’t be solved on any other way.
For testing: If I remove the “Image Importer” from Quartz, the layer works in Mimo, but then I don’t have the image. :wink:
This means that everything in the layer fits in terms of programming, just not the “Image Importer”.

Now @Dan_Pozzo_1493 mentions the “BX Image Importer”. Where can I find it so I can get the layers to work again? Or is there another workaround to render an image from a file path?

Thanks for a feedback