PTP mode Canon 550d

I am new to iStop Motion and love the interface.

Only problem is I have the 550d and I can’t work out how to even find the PTP mode on the computer/camera for it to work with iStop Motion.

What am I missing/not understanding about how PTP works? I can see from the DSLR guide that the 550d works for capturing images.

System specs: iStop Motion Home 2.7 and the Beta 2.8
Mac OSX 10.6.7

Thank you!

You don’t PTP mode on Canon cameras, make sure you use the 2.8 beta. And it will work in standard mode. We have a550d at the office and were able to rest it ourselves.

Hi everybody,
well, I tried my new canon 550d (in standard mode) with the Beta2.8 version. istopmotion sees the camera but it seems like that it can’t control it. The software take the photo with a wonderful sound, but the camera remains still, silent and i suppose also a little bit sad.

Same here. I just updated to 10.6.8 using the latest 2.8 beta, but still can’t get the D550 to work. Same behaviour as @Jack - no picture is taken, no live-preview possible - but I get an error: com.apple.ImageCaptureCore-Error -9938

@tiptronic: Please contact Michael directly for a beta version. After we spent weeks fixing it for 10.6.7 Apple happily broke everything again in 10.6.8 by including yet another totally changed revision of the frameworks. Sigh… Michael is still working on fixes.

I had the same problem as you guys. However, I then installed the new firmware (version 1.0.9) for the 550D and the camera has started taking the pictures but it still would not transfer them onto the software.

While not a final solution, we have managed to get still camera support working again for 10.6.8 and OS X Lion. Right now there are 2 caveats:

1. make sure your memory card is initially empty
  2. set your camera to shot only RAW or JPG but not both.
    Get details and software here: http://boinx.com/istopmotion/beta/

Feel free to report your findings!