Positioning playhead & playing from current position

Hi,

how do I position the playhead on the timeline (like near the end of a say, 30s long image) and play from there to check on the transition to the next in real time?

When moving the playhead (scrubbing), I can see a preview, but as soon as I let go of the play position marker, it jumps either back to the beginning of that image or to the end.

How can I position the playhead, then hit space to preview from there? Having to wait for play-through of the whole image (25 seconds) just to check on its transition to the next is very time-consuming (and annoying :-)).

Thanks,
Christian

Make sure your presentation is STOPPED – NOT in the “Pause” mode, but actually stopped. I think that might be your problem. (Make sure you click on the “Stop” button – the solid square one – and not the Pause button – the “double-up” rectangles – standard icons for STOP and Pause.) Then drag the Timeline slider to where you want to start checking. If you want to check out the transition INTO the slide you’re curious about, then click on the slide BEFORE the one where the transition occurs. I tend to click on the small area ABOVE the slide layers (in that narrow strip that shows the time count on the left and the slide duration on the right). It will highlight, and all the layers on that slide will be selected. Then press the SPACE key or click on the RIGHT ARROW to play from there. Again, if you want to check out another location, STOP the presentation FIRST, then repeat.

That should do it…

Thanks stantastic - unfortunately, it does not work for me:

1. I stop the presentation (as you say).
  2. I drag the blue playhead (I am in timeline display, not storyboard display) to the last third of the image preceding the transition I want to check.
  3. I let go of the position marker, and boom - it snaps either to the start of the subsequent image or to the start of the image it was over, but it does not stay at the place where I let go of the mouse for me to start playing right from there.

Is there a snap-setting somewhere I need to disable? Do I need to do that differently?

Please help, this is an absolutely basic, no-brainer feature I’m sure is there, but it is sooo annoying and time consuming to not get it working… :neutral:

Thanks,
Christian

Hi, Christian – sorry, misinterpreted your question. I see your problem.

No, AFAIK, there is no way to do what you want. Not sure what the programmers might have had in mind, but I think the idea was that whatever you choose to do with a particular slide (that is, add a transition, add animations, etc.) that has to be read at the point where that slide is entered. If you stop it in the middle of an animation, let’s say, it doesn’t know how to continue on from that point to the end of the animation/slide. So it resets itself to the beginning or end of that slide, whichever the play head was closer to when you stopped it.

You might try suggesting that as a Feature Request though.

I just bought PhotoMagico Pro and placed a 30 second video clip at the beginning of my slideshow.

So, let me get this straight: there is no way to position the playhead and play from the current position? I have to watch my video clip 20 times from the beginning in order to trim it and insert a transition in the right place?

If this is the case I want my money back. I cannot use this software if this is how it functions. It will take me forever to edit any video clips that I want to use in my slideshows.

Can someone please tell me if I am mistaken?

Thank you.

I can only speak for FotoMagico 5 Pro 5.6.3 which I have, but if that is your version as well: no, you are not mistaken, there is no way I know of to place the playhead near the end of a video and play from there to e.g. preview and verify a transition. You have to sit the full 30s through everytime, and like you, I am shocked by this absolutely basic feature missing.

I you are working with videos often, and Boinx does not timely announce here that this core functionality will be added in the next .x update in one or two weeks, then FM might indeed not be the software you’d want to be working with.

Also see my feature request here.

Christian

@cf Thank you for using FotoMagico. You can scrub through the video by moving the playhead with the mouse in the time line view and press “c” to split a video clip at the current playhead position. I understand that this is not the most accurate behaviour but I hope it works well enough for you.

@Kriro Thank you for your feedback regarding this feature. I will forward it to the engineers.

Learn something new every day :slight_smile: Although it IS only a workaround…