my workflow progress / setup / tweaks I'd like to share

I’ve done some extensive work on a setup for my local mac user group to do video podcasts of our meetings & presentation / demos we do of Mac software. My original setup was very cable & equipment intensive. My basic set of hardware was as follows:

Macbook - first gen
MacBook Pro - originally a 1st gen UB 15" but now upgraded to a new 17" i7 :slight_smile:
Matrox MXO2 Mini
Canon HF10
Blue Yeti USB mic
20" Apple Cinema display
Projector - VGA connection

What we first set out to use was a webcam (Logitech C910), the image quality was ok but the frame rate was only about 5-10 fps. this was replaced the matrox & the camcorder

so what we had was this: Presenter Mac -> Ethernet cable -> Recording Mac -> 20" Display for desktop video (screen share) captured with BoinxTV as a screen source.
Presenter Mac -> Optical Audio cable -> Recording Mac for presenter’s audio
Yeti USB Mic -> Recording Mac for presenter’s mic
Canon HF10 -> HDMI cable -> Matrox MXO2 Mini for presenter’s camera
Presenter Mac -> VGA adapter -> Projector for our live audience
Yeti USB -> Audio output via minijack -> Projector (software setup usually using LineIn to loop the audio back via the usb cable)
Recording Mac -> Audio Out to my headphones

As you can see this turned into a major project to get hooked up each time & took considerable time.

My new setup as of this weekend:

Presenter Mac -> Ethernet -> Recording Mac for screen share
Parallels 6 running OS X as a VM (presenter logs into this via screen share)
Recording Mac -> VGA Adapter -> Projector to host the VM & show the live audience (display settings set to extended desktop)
CamTwist -> BoinxTV so I can capture the cursor too along with the VM desktop screen.
VM -> Soundflower -> BoinxTV for presenter audio
Yeti USB Mic -> Recording Mac for presenter’s mic
Canon HF10 -> HDMI cable -> Matrox MXO2 Mini for presenter’s camera
Recording Mac -> Audio Out to projector with LineIn app looping the VM audio back out

The only thing I don’t have yet is a headphone out source for me. I’m hoping this setup (@Bastian has recommended against running the VM on the same machine as BoinxTV tho) cuts down on setup time & need for hardware. So far, I’ve cut out the 20" display & several cable connections. Fingers crossed, the software & Macbook Pro hold up for 30-60 mins. I will post an update after Tue. Thanks for reading.

Thanks for sharing your setup and experiences!