mimoLive & ATEM Switchers

I get a little confused by the graphic on https://boinx.com/media/mimoLive4ATEM.pdf

I have got to possible scenarios:

1. Using mimoLive simple as a way to stream my ATEM program to Facebook
  2. Using mimoLive for controlling the ATEM switcher, adding graphics, streaming the program (including graphics) to Facebook AND output it to SDI so that it can also be used otherwise.

So, as I understand it I would need the following things to do that:

For scenario 1:

• mimoLive
  • a Mac with at least one thunderbold port
  • one UltraStudio Mini Recorder
    => ATEM program out via SDI to Ultrastudio Mini Recorder - Streaming to Facebook

For scenario 2:

• mimoLive
  • mimoLive ATEM control layer
  • a Mac with at least three thunderbold ports
  • two UltraStudio Mini Recorders
  • one UltraStudio Mini Monitor
    => ATEM program output and multiview via SDI to a Ultrastudio Mini Recorder (Adding Graphics, Streaming to Facebook), mimoLive program output via thunderbold to a Ultrastudio Mini Monitor (for further use within my production via SDI)

Is that correct? Obviously I would prefer scenario 2, but having to buy threee Ultra Studios makes it complicated (as I would need a Mac with three thunderpolt ports). Could I instead use a UltraStudio 4K and just use one of its Thunderbold ports as an input (for the two SDI signals) and the other Thunderpolt port as an output? Or is it not possible to use a Thunderpold port for two signals (program and multiview).

Maybe there is also a third scenario:

Using only one Ultrastudio MiniRecorder (for the ATEM program output) and controlling ATEM and adding graphics with mimoLive (obviously I wouldn’t have a multiview in mimoLive but I would still be able to control the ATEM - and use an additional monitor for the multiview - correct?) and then stream with mimoLive and output via a Ultra Studio Mini Monitor - in that case I wouldn’t need two UltraStudio Recorders.

Would that work too?

Using only one Ultrastudio MiniRecorder (for the ATEM program output) and controlling ATEM and adding graphics with mimoLive (obviously I wouldn’t have a multiview in mimoLive but I would still be able to control the ATEM - and use an additional monitor for the multiview - correct?) and then stream with mimoLive and output via a Ultra Studio Mini Monitor - in that case I wouldn’t need two UltraStudio Recorders. Would that work too?

Hi, Stefan:

That’s absolutely correct. It’s not necessary to input the ATEM multiview into mimoLive––you can just plug it into a secondary monitor.

"For scenario 2:

• mimoLive
  • mimoLive ATEM control layer
  • a Mac with at least three thunderbold ports
  • two UltraStudio Mini Recorders
  • one UltraStudio Mini Monitor
    => ATEM program output and multiview via SDI to a Ultrastudio Mini Recorder (Adding Graphics, Streaming to Facebook), mimoLive program output via thunderbold to a Ultrastudio Mini Monitor (for further use within my production via SDI)
    Is that correct? Obviously I would prefer scenario 2, but having to buy threee Ultra Studios makes it complicated (as I would need a Mac with three thunderpolt ports). Could I instead use a UltraStudio 4K and just use one of its Thunderbold ports as an input (for the two SDI signals) and the other Thunderpolt port as an output? Or is it not possible to use a Thunderpold port for two signals (program and multiview)."

You can indeed use an UltraStudio Express or UltraStudio 4K to bring multiple camera sources into mimoLive via one Thunderbolt cable. No need for three Thunderbolt ports. :smiley: You can also output your program video simultaneously via the UltraStudio Express or UltraStudio 4K outputs!

So basically I could use a UltraStudio Express to get two inputs simultaniously via its SDI and HDMI ports?

Just as a side note: We currently operate a Sonnet Tech Echo Express with Blackmagic Design Duo 2 and Quad 2 cards which give you up to 8 HD SDI inputs via one Thunderbolt 2 port.

Thank you both for your help. Has any of you ever worked with a Blackmagic UltraStudio Epress and used two (SDI and HDMI) inputs as well as one output (SDI) at the same time? Cause Blackmagic support told me that it won’t work :frowning:

@“Stefan Koler” Unfortunately thats true: You can use the BMD UltraStudio Express only as input device OR as output device because of hardware limitations.

Unfortunately thats true: You can use the BMD UltraStudio Express only as input device OR as output device because of hardware limitations.
That’s good to know. I hadn’t tested that device yet.

We use scenario 1 with great success. One ATEM, One UltraStudio, ATEM control layer and and 6" external monitor for multi-view. Only requires one TB port.

Thank you everyone for your input, finally I think I will go this way:

• MimoLive with the “mimoLive ATEM Controller” (controlls the ATEM via Ethernet-connection)
  • ATEM Multiview on an external display (no connection to MimoLive)
  • a Blackmagic “Ultrastudio Mini Recorder” (ATEMs SDI program-out => Thunderbold signal that is used within MimoLive)
  • Adding graphics in MimoLive
  • Stream the final program to Facebook with MimoLive
  • Output the final program via Thunderbold to a Blackmagic “UltraStudio Mini Monitor” so that I have the MimoLive program output (including graphics) on SDI for further use within my production enviroment.

If anyone might think that this should not work, please let me know.

This sounds reasonable to me!

This is exactly our setup minus the final MimoLive SDI out. Works great. I use a 2011 MBP 17" for the production and it does fine. I think using the ATEM moves a bit of video processing CPU horsepower to the ATEM so MimoLive only has to process one incoming video signal.

The only thing we run into setup wise is upon power-up the BlackMagic Mini Recorder from ATEM into the MBP often will default into SDI in mode. We’re using HDMI in (we’re not really video guys) so we have to double check that configuration in MimoLive. But its only on power-up so all is well.