iStopMotion 3.5 beta 2 super-slow

We are using iStopMotion 3.5 beta to capture from a Canon 5D Mk 2. The software gradually gets slower. After capturing 3-4 seconds of frames, it borders on the unusable. The preview updates perhaps every 5 to 10 seconds. Taking a photo takes more than 10 secs…

Is this a known issue with the beta? Any hints of workarounds?

Hi,
thanks for the feedback. So my first tests to reproduce that issue wasn’t successful.

There are a few things that would help us a lot. Would be great if you could provide more information.

1. In what mode is your camera capturing? RAW, Jpeg (which type)?
  2. Were you capturing with live preview enabled?
  3. Was it a time-lapse? If yes, which interval?
  4. What’s the document preset you were using? e.a. 720p
  5. About how many frames in the movie are we talking?

And please try another thing…

1. Start iStopMotion and open a blank document
  2. Lauch the Activity Monitor from Applications -> Utilities
  3. In the Activity Monitor type ‘iStopMotion’ in the search field on the top right and switch to the memory tab.
  4. Now please start to capture just as you did when the problem occurred the last time.

What the interesting thing for us is how memory usage evolves with time and number of frames captured.
Would be awesome if you could provide us with these information. Maybe a small table. Doesn’t need to be super detailed or even for each frame. But maybe for every significant change in memory usage or behavior of iStopMotion. Even knowing what kind of Mac you are running iStopMotion on would be nice.

It’s nearly impossible for us to test all combinations of hardware and software. Especially since DSLRs behave so different from vendor to vendor. Not to speak of model specific differences. So we really appreciate any kind of feedback.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Will it be available the live preview for Canon 7D?

We did this yesterday at a studio, not on my computer, so i cannot reproduce now. Sorry. I’ll try to answer the other stuff as best i can recall.

There are a few things that would help us a lot. Would be great if you could provide more information.

1. In what mode is your camera capturing? RAW, Jpeg (which type)?

jpeg

1. Were you capturing with live preview enabled?

yes

1. Was it a time-lapse? If yes, which interval?

Nope. Manual stop.motion.

1. What’s the document preset you were using? e.a. 720p

The mac pro format thing. I cannot recall what it is called.

1. About how many frames in the movie are we talking?

It usually started getting painfully slow 2-3 seconds into the movie, with 12 fps. so 20+ frames.

It seemed to be related to memory management. Killing Final Cut (which was running in the background) helped for a while, until it got slow again after adding 10+ frames.

This was on a MacBookPro15. 2.3 ghz( i think) with a reasonable amount (8 or 16gb) of ram.

@marcogiome: As soon as we get our hands on a Canon 7D so that we can test it thoroughly then we are going to white list it.