How to turn off source display auto-rotation

I use iPhone as remote camera, headed directly down towards the table, to shoot 2D animation in landscape. But after every 1-2 seconds of footage, source display turns automatically 90 degrees. How to turn this auto-rotation off?

Please use the “Lock the screen orientation” feature of your device:

From http://www.apple.com/iphone/tips/

“Double-click the Home button to bring up the multitasking bar, then swipe from left to right. Now tap the portrait orientation lock once to turn it on and again to turn it off.”

It was my first thought too but it did not work. I’ll try it again and let you know.

I have the same problem with my iPhone 4S. It seems like everytime the connection is lost and the iPhone camera is pointed downwards (tested by switching between iPhone and iSight) the source display on the mac screen is rotated 90 degrees and a slight zoom.
The “lock the screen orientation” does not work in this case. The only solution for getting the display right again is to flip the iPhone upside down, but you’ll have to move the iPhone and it will take some serious time to place it exactly where it was before so that you’ll avoid bumps in you movie.
Is there any way so this can be solved without moving the iPhone?

@Allan @Ras: Today we were able to reproduce the bug and we are going to fix it in an upcoming release. Thanks for reporting!

Hi Achim,

Any word on this fix? It is a very annoying bug and I can’t work the way I’d planned. The iphone 4’s display is fine but iStopmotion rotates and expands my frame almost immediately after I start to work. I now have to find another camera because it doesn’t work well with my 7D either.
Otherwise the software looks pretty good. The user interface is very intuitive.
I really hope I can get it to work as advertised soon. :-t

@tvfactory: we just submitted a new version of iStopCamera to the App Store. We are now waiting for Apple to review the app. Thanks for your patients!

I’m using version 2.1 and the same issue is present, even with the portrait orientation lock. 90º turn and slight zooming.

This is extremely disappointing, I just bought version 3.1 and the problem still exists on an iPhone 5. The orientation lock doesn’t make any difference. For software where you’d think it’s a no-brainer that the camera angle might be fixed from above, it renders it useless and really is a deal breaker.

Wow. I’m using version 3.1.1 with my iPhone 4S and it still does this. Makes the app unusable for me.

I have the same problem. I just updated to version 3.1.1 on my macbook pro and use the 2.1 version on my iphone 5. Some help would be great!

Unfortunately we found another glitch in the software and working on a fix right now. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Experiencing this problem as well. A real “deal breaker”, indeed. When will it be fixed?

We will release a new version for iStopMotion Mac shortly (v3.2) Unfortunately the bug fix didn’t make it into this release. We will be sending out an update shortly after this.

I’ve bought this program at the end of August with the intention of using it a lot, unfortunately i can’t because of this bug. When will the update be finished?

I am happy to announce that iStopMotion 3.2.1 is available in the Mac App Store which fixes the problem when using the iOS camera face down! (The download version is already at 3.2.2 which fixes a problem with the software update process)

Great! So how would i update my version to the new one? I can only click on ‘learn more’ (when i open istopmotion on my computer and click on software update) and then i’m redirected to your website, where i can buy istopmotion again… or can i download it as a trial and then insert my license key again?

@Irsi: There is a bug in your current software that won’t let you instantly install the new version. Please download the new version from our website (the licenses key actually controls if this version behaves like a demo app or the actual app) and manually replace the app in your Applications folder. You don’t need to enter your licenses again. Sorry for the innocents!

Hi,
I tested the trial version before buying the actual license but I am disappointed with the continous crash of the software every 5 minutes. Also when connected to iphone as a remote camera, the screen keeps on flipping upside down randomly. It’s really annoying and makes the software totally unusable for me. Also it takes a lot of time to render a live preview from my phone to macbook. The live feed is all pixellated and takes ages to sharpen up. Unfortunately i have dropped my idea of going ahead with this software since its full of bugs. I hope boinx fixes it soon, because its the most simplest app available to work with stopmotion.