How to connect iMac + BoinxTV to school CCTV System

Hello,

I am a school teacher, that is strongly considering buying BoinxTV for our school Closed-circuit television (CCTV) station. We just started to do a Morning News type show with the kids. They love to be on TV. We have some money to buy some more technology to add to our morning TV show and I would like to get BoinxTV. We are also planning on buying a 21" iMac. I would like to know how would we connect the iMac to our CCTV system. Right now the headend is a composite video input and we plug our camera into that composite port. How would we do this with a iMac + Boinx TV. I think your software is amazing and every one who is doing a school TV station should see it in action.

Thanks

Jay

Oak Grove School
Atlanta, GA USA

Live playout in BoinxTV works over the secondary graphics card-out.
Connect the playout device (projector, SDI converter, DVI>S-Video converter) to your secondary out of you graphics card.
No you need to to enable fullscreen output on this output in BoinxTV. Before you toggle fullscreen output, make sure that mirroring is switched off in system preferences and that you can see anything (the desktop background) on the secondary screen/playout device. (If this doesnt work in the first place, the problem is somewhere ealse in your setup-chain.)
Then in BoinxTV hold the option key while clicking the double arrow button. Sow select the secondary screen and the required resolution. Now you should be able to see the BoinxTV output on the playout device.

In your special case, a MiniDisplayport to VGA adapter together with an inexpensive VGA to Composite Adapter should do.

MiniDisplayport->VGA->Composite won’t work, this crappy solution is your only option, aside from buying a MacPro, which is what I would recommend.

Otis It looks like you are right. Just yesterday I tried Bastians solution and I got nothing. I bought a $2.00 VGA to composite adapter from Amazon. It looks like I will have to buy a MacPro or a MacBook Pro with thunderbolt along with a Black Magic Ultrastudio 3D with thunderbolt. I hope that configuration will work for our school. I just wish we could know ahead of time before I tell them to spend $4,000.

Jay

Oak Grove School
Atlanta, GA USA

Hi guys, sorry I got it wrong. It seems the VGA signal the MiniDisplayPort doesn’t contain the analog signal these adapters need.

There’s also the <a href="http://boinx.com/boinxtv/equipment/matrox/>Matrox MXO.