How do I upgrade from a previous version to iStopMotion 3?

<div class="EmbeddedContent"><strong>How do I upgrade from a previous version to iStopMotion 3?</strong>
           <p>In the last couple of years, our industry has been overhauled massively. Apple has created a set of rules that we can not ignore. On the App Store, there is no way to implement an upgrade from one product to a new one. The only way to charge for an update is to make a new product and sell it again. In order to avoid consumer confusion, we have decided to follow this model all the way through and treat all our customers equally. To make up for it, we have priced iStopMotion 3 more than 90% lower than before, creating the best stop motion animation package at a rock bottom price.  Check out the original article for more information!</p>
           <p><a href="http://boinx.com/knowledge/istopmotion/general/WS03118">Read the full story here</a></p>
           <div class="ClearFix"></div>
        </div>

Are you serious… I just left a comment, and its lost because I had to sign in to leave a djlsfkjsdlfkjslf comment…
You are not treating all customers equally … People who buy software today didn’t already shell out $500 for what is now $50 software… I’m really freaking tired of this early adopter tax that only becomes obvious when the software becomes widely available… Apples policy should be challenged as their decision making process has suffered greatly in the last year or two… they can put the app store in the iCloud where the sun doesn’t shine…

I think you are creative enough to come up with schemes to reward people who have invested heavily in your products in the past.

I am confused. I paid $49.00 for istopmotion 2.8.4. Where is this $499.00 price coming from?

@susang: we once sold iStopMotion Pro for $499 and iStopMotion Home for $49. Now we only have one version which contains all the features.

This is ridiculous. I think I paid £34.99 for ‘istopmotion 2’, and now I have to pay the same again for effectively updating old software. What a con. I certainly won’t be investing in any of this software in the future unless some considerable changes take place. Other apps I have downloaded (not from Boinx), simply update periodically and I then benefit from the changes. With ‘istopmotion’, we’re being charged for technically an ‘update’ but you call it a ‘new product’ so you can rip off customers. Thanks very much!!!

@burtonlawrence: For iStopMotion 2 we shipped free updates for 4 years. We can’t promise that this will happen for iStopMotion 3 again but we are sure that we have to stop development if we won’t get payed for our work (one year of silent development for version 3). I am sure that also the future updates will get you new features and make sure that you can work on the latest MacOS. Hopefully you get confidence in us again!

Does this mean that moving from earlier versions of iStopMotion 3 to the newest version (currently 3.2.2) means paying again? I’m still confused. I bought my earlier version from the Apple store in August 2012. As a complication, my uninstaller seems to have lost my original registration - but I won’t need to retrieve it if I have to repurchase anyway. What’s my next move?

Does this mean that moving from earlier versions of iStopMotion 3 to the newest version (currently 3.2.2) means paying again? I'm still confused. I bought my earlier version from the Apple store in August 2012. As a complication, my uninstaller seems to have lost my original registration - but I won't need to retrieve it if I have to repurchase anyway. What's my next move?

I just partially answered my own question - I went back to the Apple Store and downloaded iStopMotion 3, which I had a right to do as a previous purchaser. This resulted in my getting 3.2, but not apparently 3.2.2. Is there a further upgrade, and how can I get it?

Note that I am not commenting on the price - I’m just trying to understand the upgrade path, paid for or not.

@Living_Fossil: Currently Apple is reviewing iStopMotion 3.2.1. Once they are done this is again a free update for all iStopMotion 3 customers. However, we found a bug which only effected the download version so we decided to make a 3.2.2 version which is already available through our download page here: http://www.boinx.com/download/#istopmotion (To run this version you will need a download-licenses!) This version won’t get into the Mac App Store.

Sorry for all the confusion but we can’t speed up the Apple review process and don’t want to hold back bug fixes for the download customers.

I am confused. I paid $49.00 for istopmotion 2.8.4. Where is this $499.00 price coming from?

I bought that istopmotion Home for that special price. And yes, iStopmotion Pro (what we know for $49) was that expensive. https://web.archive.org/web/20100609052644/http://www.boinx.com/istopmotion/overview/flavors
Deja vu, I have read this kind of complaints at forums before, since other software developers have gone to appstore under this low prices model.
Update price was $150. Do you really prefer a $150 upgrade to the generous offer of a new iStopmotion full licence at 49 bucks?
Think on it. :wink:
I have bought iStopmotion 3 and it´s great. Its price is wonderful. And, by the way, has an installation issue and had a boinx guy working remotely in my mac trying to guess what happened until he found a fix.
Let´s be fair to kind and efficient developers like these. And complaining for a full license at $49 is not fair.

Regards

Apparently you upgrade for fee under certain circunstances, anyway.
http://www.application-systems.co.uk/istopmotion/istopmotion3_coupon.html

I am a high school Art teacher. I just bought iStopMotion 3.6, running Yosemite on Mac Pro. without trying the ‘trial’ version first.
Now I see that I can’t use ‘layers’ to incorporate other artwork as foreground and mid-ground ‘graphics’…
Am correct? : i.e. each frame is limited to one camera shot plus a ‘one’ foreground’ few images provided by the software?
That is a major limitation!
I sure wish I had tried this software out before buying!
Is there a 'work around?
Is there a ‘trial version’ of the next level up?