Help customising layer

I’d like to customise the “placer with distortion” layer to overlay text on top of Source A.

So I added an image with string patch, and when I overlay that on the GLSL shader using a source over patch in between, the text displays ok.

However, image with string has no way to change the background colour, and I’d like to have coloured text on a white background.

Can anyone suggest the direction I need to look in?

I have tried all sorts of things - render in image with sprites, billboards and whatnot - no no avail. The closest I have got is to have the coloured text on a white background appearing in the centre of the Source A image. But then, as soon as I try to move the text to a more appropriate part of the Source A image, the Source A image deforms along the x or y axis.

To clarify - this is my first attempt at using QC at all, so I’m kinda flailing about in the dark. Any suggestions appreciated.

Nice to read that someone actually is using the customization possibilities BoinxTV offers! :slight_smile:

May I ask back, If you want to use the regular image input for this layer as well, or do you want to replace the image with your text completely?

To put in the background color you have to use a “Render in Image” patch to generate the image with background filled. from your “Image with String”-patch read the pixel dimensions of your text image with a “Image Dimensions” patch and feed “Pixels Wide” and “Pixels high” values into the “Render in Image patch” to make it render the same dimensions as your text. Inside the “Render in image” you have to place a “Clear” patch where you setup your background color and a Billboard (“width”-parameter set to “2”!). publish the “Image” input from that Billboard and connect the text image outside to the “Render in Image”-patch to the newly created “Image” input of the “Render in Image” patch. Connect the result from the “Render in Image” to the “Image”-Input-Splitter on the right side of the composition to replace the regular layer image input with your text image.

Don’t forget to rename your layer in the “Info”-drop down window of that composition (“name” parameter) and also change the “tv_LayerIdentifier” to something different, so that BoinxTV can distinguish from the native composition and your modified one.

Hi Achim,

Thanks for the quick reply!

I could turn out to be a real pain - there’s quite a bit of customisation I would like to do.

In this case, I have created a virtual studio (very basic so far) in Blender. There is a screen on the wall which I want to have images and/or video displayed on. Some, but not all, of the images need a short caption to be superimposed over the main image, positioned to suit.

I was taking the output from the main image splitter into the “background” port of a “source over” patch, the output of the "render in image"patch into the other input port, and then the output into the “texture” port on the GLSL shader.

I had done pretty much everything else you suggest with one key exception, and I suspect (blind hope, really) that could be the problem - I didn’t set the width of the Billboard to 2. I’ll try that and get back to you.

The power of QC to create layers is fantastic, and really sets BoinxTV above the competition, in my opinion. So here’s a couple of more questions, if you don’t mind:

• is there any documentation for the various Boinx inputs - tvGroup* etc?
  • at present there are two transitions - cut and dissolve. I’d like to add a swipe to change between images in my customised layer, for example, but I’m not clear exactly where that should be done. Would I be correct in saying I should be looking at the Animation Controller javascript?

Thanks,

Mike.

1. There is documentation about the protocol BoinxTV is using to communicate with the composition: Open the “Help”-Menu of BionxTV and select “Creating Custom Layers”. You will get a window with lots of information about this protocol.

2. I don’t know how your JS skills are, the Animation Controller is a bit complicated to understand if you are not familiar with state machines. Anyways I would recommend to use a “Swipe” patch to mix your images into one and use this in the “Image”-chain we already discussed. To animate the swipe you can implement another “Animation Controller” JavaScript or use a Stop Watch patch where you publish the start/reset buttons so that BoinxTV displays them in the UI.

Achim,

Had to do a bit of scaling and transforming to get it all to look right. Thanks very much for your help, its working now as expected.

Cheers,

Mike.