Going live - Few questions

Hi,

I’m looking to go on Facebook Live soon with mimolive and I have a few queries.

1. What is the best codec/wrapper and settings to use for VTs. Should the video be 720p to make it more efficient? Is there anyway to que these to a specific point in the video?

2. Is there a workflow that allows for a programme out of the mimolive software to a hardware encoder like a vidiu? Is there any advantage or benefit to doing that?

3. Are there any other facebook live pitfalls that would be good to know?

Thanks
Joe

@“Josef Hrehorow” Thank you for your interest in mimoLive.

What is the best codec/wrapper and settings to use for VTs. Should the video be 720p to make it more efficient? Is there anyway to que these to a specific point in the video?

Of course, using a lower resolution and lower frame rate makes it easier for mimoLive to play your VTs. If you stream with 720p, it would not make sense to play 1080p videos. But there should normally be no problem playing 1080p H.264 videos. Currently videos play from the beginning, but you can easily trim the videos using the QuickTime Player.

Is there a workflow that allows for a programme out of the mimolive software to a hardware encoder like a vidiu? Is there any advantage or benefit to doing that?

Yes, you can play out to your secondary monitor output and connect the vidiu via HDMI. Use the last button in the top right hand corner of the window.

Are there any other facebook live pitfalls that would be good to know?

In general it is pretty straight forward to stream to Facebook Live. The biggest complication is the privacy settings. When login in for the first time from mimoLive, you need to grant mimoLive broader publishing rights than you may want to use later. If you stream to a fan page, the stream is always public. If you stream to your private page, you can set the privacy when you set up the stream.

I recommend to start testing with a private stream that only you can see on your timeline.

Let us know how it goes!

I missed this question:

Is there any advantage or benefit to doing that?

Yes, your computer will not have to carry the burden of encoding the stream. If you Mac is one of the models without a hardware H.264 encoder, this could be a critical advantage.

Thanks Oliver for the answers.

I assume if I’m outputting to a Vidiu I don’t need to hit “stream now” on the MimoLive?

Josef

It appears outputting to the vidiu just acts as an extension of the display? How do I ask mimolive to send a full screen programme out of the HDMI and not a display window that Is unable to go Fullscreen?

Thanks
Josef

@“Josef Hrehorow”

It appears outputting to the vidiu just acts as an extension of the display? How do I ask mimolive to send a full screen programme out of the HDMI and not a display window that Is unable to go Fullscreen?

If you connect the vidiu to the HDMI out connector of your Mac, it will be like a second screen. You may have to set up your Mac to treat it as a separate screen and not a mirror of the internal screen using the System Preferences. Then use the Full Screen Playout button in top right hand corner of the mimoLive document window to start the playout. In the setup menu (white down “arrow” next to the Playout button) you can choose which display to use for full screen playout.

Let me know if that works.