Connect problems with iStopForMac and iStopRemote Camera

Hello!

I’m trying to establish a stable connection between an iPhone 4s and Macbook. Both are on the same network. I open a new iStopMotion project, then open the Remote Camera, select the phone in iStopMotion but the nothing happens. The phone says its connected, but there’s only a black screen with a grid of grey lines. On the Macbook, there’s a similar screen. Moving the phone around does not display anything other than said black screen with grey lined grid. After a few seconds, both the phone and Macbook will say the connection has been lost.

Then a few seconds later, both say the connection has been established, but only the grey grid on black is displayed. This loop continues on and on, until the program crashes. Only a restart of the computer and phone enables the two to connect properly, but that only lasts for a short time and then the problem repeats.

Anyone have an idea on how to fix this? I’ve tried this with a new Macbook bought in December and another that’s four years old. I set up a new wifi network in the same room, and the problem still occurred.

Any help on establishing a stable connection would be appreciated!

Could you please give us a a little bit more information on your setup so we can try to understand what happens better. First, what version of iOS is running on your iPhone? What version of OS X is your Mac running and what version of iStopMotion? And lastly, what type of Wifi Router do you use?

Sure no problem, here’s the versions:
iPhone 4s, with iOS version 7.1(11D167) on a 2009 Macbook and a 2012 Macbook Pro running OS X 10.9.2
Tried two different routers, an Apple Airport Express & a LinkCys wrt54g v8.2. Same problem!

For iStopmotion for Mac, version 3.5 (Rev. 15880-F16048-R)
For the Remote Camera App, we’re using version 2.2.3(10606R)

Thanks for any help

Hi ruderudy,

I don’t know if this will help but I’ve had similar issues, tho the grid doesn’t sound familiar.

I’ve been trying to connect over wifi to a late model macbook pro and an iPhone 4. Most of my trouble seemed to stem from weak wifi. Nothing ever indicated a weak wifi signal. Not Airport Utility, or Wireless Diagnostics.

However, I recently discovered the iPhone 4 and 4S don’t use the 5GHz band. It has a better signal to noise ratio than 2.4GHz.

So I had to get both devices onto a 2.4GHz band. That accomplished, things would connect then disconnect or not connect at all. I had to move the macbook and iPhone very close to the airport express in the kitchen. When they were within a few feet of each other the app connected and the video was near real time streaming.

All this to say, it might be the 2.4GHz signal causing the problem. I’m looking into upgrading my iPhone to a 5 or 5S (not 5C!) or get another airport express and bridge the two. Hopefully that’ll clear up the signal issues.

I hope this helps in some way!

Cheers.