BoinxTV on a MBP

I’m looking at BoinxTV to use as a live video player/scheduler for a trade show. Basically I’d have a bunch of video clips (HD) that would play on a large screen supported on the floor of a convention center. Between video clips (ranging from 5 to 10 minutes) I want to run video and/or still ads.

Rather than creating one HUGE video file that would play straight though for 8 hours, I’d like the flexibility to add, change, delete clips and ads and just have that stream live to the screen.

Would BoinxTV be a good option for this?

And if so, how would it run on Apple’s newest 17" MBP? I have it tricked out to 8GB of RAM, AMG Radeon graphics chip w/ 1GB of GDDR5 video memory, a 2.2GHx Quad-core Intel Core i7 and Thunderbolt (not that that’s going to be usable for anything).

Also, how would I manage the output to the projector? Would a mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter work if I set up the projector as a second, full-screen, display?

Thanks in advance!

I guess the biggest question is whether or not you were planning to have a computer operator in charge of selecting which videos play, and inserting the still ads?

If it is to be self-running, then you might want to look at another solution. If you use QuickTime, and you are replaying some of the same files, then you can copy and paste the videos together, and the disk space is not duplicated because it just inserts a reference to the original video.

‘’ I have it tricked out to 8GB of RAM, AMG Radeon graphics chip w/ 1GB of GDDR5 video memory, a 2.2GHx Quad-core Intel Core i7 and Thunderbolt (not that that’s going to be usable for anything). ‘’

Would have no problem running boinxtv.

‘‘Would BoinxTV be a good option for this?’’

I think it you would be a good option. You just have the videos separately inserted into boinxtv (drag & drop) and then play whatever you want the way you want. Only problem, unless you make everything run automatically (which I think is possible in boinxtv) you may need a person in front of the computer.

''Would a mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter work if I set up the projector as a second, full-screen, display? ‘’

Yeap (projector must have hdmi input!).

Just tried the identical MacBook Pro config with the BTVNews template running at 720p with 2 cams, FaceTime HD @ 720p and Apple Cinema Display (1280x1024), also running one movie in the background. Results in a load of ~50% with recording turned on.

This sounds quite good to me. I also expect it to get even better once the graphics drivers are more mature, either in a future 10.6 update or on 10.7.

Unfortunately there is no Thunderbolt device yet to test.