Boinx TV Intensity Pro HDMI error

Hi,

I’ve been using BoinxTV for over 6 months now and we’ve had a recurring issue with HDMI capture. I have literally changed everything but BoinxTV, I have swapped the Intensity card into different ports, I have swapped it with a new one, I have upgraded to the latest mac pro I have tried all sorts of blackmagic intensity drivers, I’ve tried OSX 10.6 and 10.7, direct connection with card, indirect through HDMI splitter, yet nothing ever changes.

We use BoinxTV for seminar recording and as such laptops get plugged and unplugged from the Intensity Pro card regularly. The problem is after time, sometimes less than a day the Intensity Pro will no longer display an image, simply black. Now I’ve narrowed it down to boinx in a very specific scenario.

1. plug in laptop and start boinx
  2. do recording
  3. stop recording
  4. unplug laptop
  5. close boinxtv

After consulting console BoinxTV throws an error like this

BoinxTV(211,0xb01b3000) malloc: *** error for object 0x4d472404: incorrect checksum for freed object - object was probably modified after being freed.

Which suggests to me that BoinxTV is not correctly de-allocating memory related to the thread that has a lock on the Intensity Pro card, causing the card to forever be locked and longer accessible till I do a hard reboot of the Mac.

I may be wrong but I’ve tested this card for 3 days straight and it can maintain capture for that long, but as soon as BoinxTV come into the mix things start getting hairy.

I hope you can fix this soon as this is very inconvenient.

Setup :

MacPro 2012
Intensity Pro
Decklink Studio (SDI input, never stops working).
HDMI input (tried both 1080p and 720p same results.)

Also using latest version of boinxtv 1.8.4

We saw the same issue with a Capture Card from another manufacturer a while ago. A driver update from them fixed the issue back then. Are you running the latest BlackMagic desktop drivers?

Yes, latest drivers. Even tried reverting to older drives. The capture card itself does not have this problem with other software suites.

Can you specify “other software suites”. FCP, wirecast and similar software access the card through the SDK, while BoinxTV uses QuickTime for access. Can you reproduce the issue with QuickTime player 7 as well?

How do I reproduce this with Quicktime Player 7? I wasn’t aware that Quicktime Player had capturing capability.

I have used the card just fine with the built in Blackmagic software called Media Express, which I imagine has a pretty solid implementation of it’s own capture card API.

any more updates on this @laykum? I had a reoccurring black video issue with my Intensity Extreme (TB capture box), I finally tracked it down to a bad HDMI cable connection to the box! it was crashing the driver because the signal would cut in & out until the point it forced a reboot. I always use the same set of cables in the same config so it did it all over again.

Not yet. I will test today by directly attaching an HDMI source to the capture card to see if it makes a difference. But we don’t get any flicker on our current setup.

I have definitely seen some odd behavior concerning the Intensity Extreme and BoinxTV. In my case, I have BoinxTV and the Intensity Extreme working correctly on a MacBook Pro, but can’t get it to work on a new iMac (black screen). What I have figured out is that the install process for the BlackMagic Software works best when the box is unplugged during the install. I found that presets for resolution (for me, it was 1080i/60) were missing until I uninstalled the software and reinstalled with the box unplugged - and even then, it took a couple of uninstall/install cycles for it to work. On the iMac, the Intensity Extreme works with Wirecast AND Quicktime 7, but not BoinxTV. Again - I have the same configuration (camera, Intensity Extreme, OS Version and BoinxTV) working on my Macbook Pro. I am at a loss as to what is going on.

This might sound like a cliche but my problem was faulty HDMI equipment. I had 2-3 pieces of poor equipment in my HDMI chain that constantly managed to screw up the HDCP handshake, which in turn messed with the Intensity Pro card I guess. Case closed.

I have definitely seen some odd behavior concerning the Intensity Extreme and BoinxTV. In my case, I have BoinxTV and the Intensity Extreme working correctly on a MacBook Pro, but can't get it to work on a new iMac (black screen). What I have figured out is that the install process for the BlackMagic Software works best when the box is unplugged during the install. I found that presets for resolution (for me, it was 1080i/60) were missing until I uninstalled the software and reinstalled with the box unplugged - and even then, it took a couple of uninstall/install cycles for it to work. On the iMac, the Intensity Extreme works with Wirecast AND Quicktime 7, but not BoinxTV. Again - I have the same configuration (camera, Intensity Extreme, OS Version and BoinxTV) working on my Macbook Pro. I am at a loss as to what is going on.

I am having the same problem. Any idea why I can not get BoinxTV on an new iMac to recognise a video camera even though it works on my older Macbook Pro? I have tried changing cameras (usually a Canon XF100), changing HDMI cables (via intensity extreme), installing and reinstalling software. Everything looks the same on the iMac and Macbook, but when trying to select a new camera source, the first half of selections for the BM Intensity are greyed out. I did get it to work once, but nothing since. I’d be very grateful if someone can give me some ideas - Ive spent hours reading forums and trying out various ways to get it to work.

Did you select the correct input type in the BlackMagic Design System preference pane? Most come pre-configured with SDI selected. Do you get a signal in BlackMagic Media Express?

Did you select the correct input type in the BlackMagic Design System preference pane? Most come pre-configured with SDI selected. Do you get a signal in BlackMagic Media Express?

I’m having a somewhat similar problem. I’m running two laptops into my Mac tower (through two Intensity Pros) and trying to live-switch between the computers and a third camera. One laptop is a Macbook, one is a PC. The PC works perfect, HDMI out and into Intensity Pro, and it shows up in Boinx. The Macbook doesn’t work. I’ve tried two Macbooks (one running Mavericks and the other Yosemite), switched out HDMI cables and Thunderbolt converters to ones that I know work, but nothing is showing up on Boinx. I know signal is coming through because the Macbook screens have been showing up in BlackMagic Media Express.

Did you select the same input in BoinxTV as the resolution that is set in Media express?

That was an issue, thanks. Boinx inputs were set at 1080i 59.94 and the Mac was at 1080i 60. Ideally I’d like to get the Mac at 1080i 59.94, but I haven’t been able to figure that out.

The other issue is that there is no sound. I’ve got the Mac outputting sound through the HDMI cable, and I’ve got the Boinx source (the one capturing the Mac) with audio set at the Intensity, but still no sound. In System Preferences, I can see the signal coming through the Intensity, so once again I’m struggling with why Boinx is not recognizing it.

That was an issue, thanks. Boinx inputs were set at 1080i 59.94 and the Mac was at 1080i 60. Ideally I’d like to get the Mac at 1080i 59.94, but I haven’t been able to figure that out.

The other issue is that there is no sound. I’ve got the Mac outputting sound through the HDMI cable, and I’ve got the Boinx source (the one capturing the Mac) with audio set at the Intensity, but still no sound. In System Preferences, I can see the signal coming through the Intensity, so once again I’m struggling with why Boinx is not recognizing it.