Boinx iStopMotion 2.8.2b2 is out

We posted another beta of iStopMotion 2.8.2 over at the beta site.

We are confident that it fully solves the issues with still cameras on Mac OS X Snow Leopard, specifically v10.6.8 and on OS X Lion (10.7). It has been tested on several Nikon and Canon models. Please give us feedback if you are still experiencing problems.

We implemented a completely new model of interacting with cameras that is more stable and future-proof. We will work on improving still camera functionality for future versions of the product, but our goal now was to provide you with a working solution as fast as possible.

Get details and software here: http://boinx.com/istopmotion/beta/

We can haz feedback? Has anybody who suffered from the timeout-erros tried the Beta and can confirm/can’t confirm success with the beta?
Thank you very much in advance!

Hi,
we work with istop motion and want to buy for our stopmotion studio a Canon EOS camera. We have Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

I downloaded your new beta version.
We already tried EOS 1000d (without liveview) and EOS 600d (incl. liveview on camera display and full HD).
But both unfortunately dont´t work. The program identificate the camera, I can shoot with istopmotion, but there is no liveview.
Would be great to solve the problem!
Thanks for your answer.

Apple’s frameworks which we use for connecting the camera does not deliver compatibility for live preview on still cameras yet, I’m afraid. You’ll have to do a preview shot (which is not a big deal actually).

To do so please make sure the camera is set to JPG recording and manual focus to avoid long loading times (as many settings to “manual” as possible is recommend, also “PTP-mode” if available). It is also advised that there is a certain amount of space available on the memory card (an empty one is even better). Enhanced capturing support is only available from iStopMotion 2.8.2 and OSX 10.6.8 or newer due to technical reasons.

Ok.
Actually it´s not so nice to do a preview shot. Do you think, there will be a live preview solution next time?
:slight_smile:

We know the live preview would be great, let’s say we are not lazy :wink:

I don’t think anyone thinks you guys are lazy. The layout and user interface are awesome. The low price for a home version - SPOT ON! Easy to use for a kid. In fact my 11 year old was telling me how much he liked iStopmotion instead of Dragon Stop Motion. The only problem is that the other program works perfect with my DSLR. I get live view no problem.

Why can they do it so easily? Please don’t blame Apple.

Every camera manufacturer uses their very own way to get the live view of those still cameras (that also applies on triggering etc.). We don’t know which way they do it exactly, but we know that Apples developer tools are not capable to do so natively. Believe me, if this can be done within a few days or weeks we would have done it a long time ago. But we are working on it.

Hi there, i just bought a new macbook pro, and i already had a canon eos 1000d, and i was wondering when the live view is gonna be fixed? Or is it just something that can’t be fixed? The last comment about this was sept. 2011 and it’s now jan. 2013, and i’m new to this forum and don’t know it there are any developments on this subject.

The live view issue has been around for a LONG time… :frowning: