Blackmagic Key & Fill - SDI Playout

UPDATE

Oliver said on 22 February:

“I just went to a customer who has an Ultrastudio 4K to do some testing but they are only set up for 1080p. Can you confirm that your setup works when using 1080p like the one I was testing today?”

I can confirm that mimoLive’s Blackmagic Design Program Output works great @ 1080P when outputting key and fill to the Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K.

However, key and fill do not work at all at 2160P UHD.

FYI - while this is disappointing, and means mimoLive is unsuitable for 4K workflows in most Blackmagic environments, I can also confirm this: mimoLive key and fill output will work with the Blackmagic ATEM Television Studio Pro 4K which was introduced at NAB 2018. That’s because this specific ATEM includes scalers on all 8 inputs, and the 1080P key and fill produced by mimoLive is upconverted by the ATEM successfully from 1080P to 2160P.

I certainly hope you can update mimoLive to provide key and fill at native 2160P, but at least for now, I can begin using mimoLive, though quality of graphics will be compromised in my 4K workflow.

Sorry I took so long to run this test, but hopefully this will point to a solution.

@“Danny Grizzle” Thanks for reporting back to us and confirming that it works in 1080p. I’m sorry that it doesn’t work for you as expected in 4K.

However, key and fill do not work at all at 2160P UHD.

I’d like to note that 2160p key/fill works fine on the “UltraStudio 4K Extreme II” we have in our lab, but we have not yet been able to pinpoint exactly what the difference could be since it is using exactly the same software API as the “UltraStudio 4k”. Our current suspicion is that the Thunderbolt connection of the “UltraStudio 4K” may not be fast enough to sustain the two 2160p video streams required to send key/fill. We’re currently working on checking if the “UltraStudio 4K Extreme” has a faster connection. It is also difficult to assert that the “UltraStudio 4K” is supposed to be able to send key/fill at 2160p. This is currently a tech support question we have open with Blackmagic.

I’m glad to hear that you have found a temporary workaround that you can use until we figure out what exactly is going on.

(I have sent you an email to the address you registered for the forum. Can you please get in touch?)

Just finished my first live stream using mimoLive. What a thrill to have this kind of power at my fingertips!

Even though I’m a total beginner and only got the hardware working yesterday, we pulled off the first show with no major problems.

See Facebook, search for “Satterwhite Log Homes.” We’ve built thousands of homes in America’s Tornado Alley, and terrible events of this past weekend, with many fatalities in Alabama, dictated the subject, especially because Sam Satterwhite was only a few miles away from the storm in Alabama as he drove from a show in Atlanta, Georgia back home to Texas.

Thanks to everyone at Boinx for a great product! I hope to grow into the vast capabilities of mimoLive!

@“Danny Grizzle” looks very nice! definitely would love to see a write up on your setup sometime. we need a brag section here to talk about our rigs lol

@“Danny Grizzle” Thanks for the kind words! The live stream looks great.

@kmac1036 That’s a great idea. Feel free to brag whenever you like!

@“Oliver (Boinx)” DONE! Here’s my writeup: https://boinx.com/connect/forum?path=%2Fdiscussion%2F6725%2Fmy-mobile-rig-setup-hardware-list

For anyone following this thread, we’ve confirmed with the vendor that playout with key/fill is supported on the UltraStudio 4K only up to 1080p.

Hi Oliver,

We’ve been successfully using MimoLive with Ultrastudio 4K and 4 M/E Broadcast Studio 4K at 1080p for all our broadcasts.

As per your update above:

Blackmagic supports key/fill on the UltraStudio 4K only up to 1080p.

We are presently moving to 4K for streaming etc. and were about to start testing with MimoLive. The above thread will have saved me hours of potential problem-solving.

Just to clarify:

1). Does this mean that we would have to use a BMD UltraStudio 4K Extreme 3 in order to use key/fill for 2160P?

2). UltraStudio 4K will not support 2160P, and there will be no update? (as far as anyone knows or is planned).

Colin, I believe both your clarification items are true, but I cannot confirm because I do not own an UltraStudio 4K Extreme 3.

In the future, I will be far more skeptical with Blackmagic naming nomenclature, because the UltraStudio 4K is not fully 4K capable, and I doubt there was any way I could have discovered this prior to purchase. “Ultra” seems to suggest ultimate or some other superlative, but it is a very misleading exaggeration.

I wasted more than hours messing with this – we were delayed weeks, and ultimately it was Boinx that discovered and confirmed the issue with Blackmagic, not my calls to Blackmagic tech support.

By the same token, at NAB 2019 just concluded, Blackmagic announced the ATEM Constellation 8K switcher. It looks to be a great product, and fortunately every reviewer seems to note straight up front that this product, for all practical purposes, has very little capability or utility in the 8K realm. It appears to be a great 4K switcher, however.