›

The captured image cannot be downloaded from the camera - Problems using Nikon D5100

I bought a copy of iStopMotion today from the App Store and immediately ran into problems with using my Nikon D5100 DSLR.

I have connected the camera via USB and the software recognises that it has been connected (D5100 appears in the 'Source' dropdown), but there is no live preview and pressing the 'Capture Still Camera Preview' button causes this error message:

"The captured image cannot be downloaded from the camera
Please unplug your camera, turn it off and on again, reconnect it and retry. If the problem persists, please contact Boinx Software Support at http://boinx.com/contact/istopmotion"

I have followed the instructions but attempting to take another Camera Preview causes the software to crash.

It might also be of note that the D5100 is storing the photos on the SD Card, so iStopMotion is able to communicate with the camera, just not retrieve the photos or live view.

Things tried:
- Restarting my Mac and Camera
- Updating the Camera Firmware
- Setting image quality to JPEG Basic and image size to 2464X1632 (smallest available)

I have contacted Boinx Software Support but let me know if you have any thoughts. Thanks!

Comments

• SOLVED: Boinx Software Support got back to me with a solution - here's there message if anyone has the same problem:

Kindly try setting up your camera as instructed below:

1. Connect your camera to the computer with an appropriate USB cable.
    2. Power your camera by AC power if possible.

- If you do use a battery, make sure it is fully charged.
    - If you use AC power, remove the battery.
    3. Close any other applications that might connect to your camera.
    - Open Image Capture, select your camera, then in pop up area in lower-left select Connection camera opens: No application.
    4. Make sure Dropbox is not a client of the camera.
    5. If you have anti-virus software, white-list iStopmotion so that it may access your camera.
    6. Set the Mode Dial to Manual (M).
    7. Set Auto Image Rotation to Off.
    8. Set Lens to Manual Focus and disable Vibration Reduction.
    9. You may need to remove the CF/SD memory card.

Then open iStopMotion, click on iStopMotion at the top-left corner of your screen, then press and hold the Option button on your keyboard and you'll see that Preferences option will change to Debug Preferences, please click on it. In the opened window check the option "Ignore Whitelisting for Digital Still Cameras" and restart iStopMotion.

For me, the final step to "Ignore Whitelisting for Digital Still Cameras" seems to have been the solution.

• @billygodfrey Thank you for using iStopMotion and I apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced. I'm glad we could solve your issue this quickly and thanks for posting the solution. Enjoy iStopMotion!

• edited October 2017

Thank you for posting. We use Nikon D5100's in our classroom and I've had this problem as well. However, I'm not able to get mine working without having various error messages pop up. One day it will work, the next it won't. So frustrating :(

• Is there a better fix for this issue with D5100? Nothing seems to work for me, and these issues appear to date date a LONG time.